MP-1 Handsfreelights Review...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shadragon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
MP-1 Light Review

I received the MP-1 lights via courier Friday morning. As you can see they were well packed and protected. Total cost was $158.95 US delivered to the door which comprised of $149.95 for the lights and $9.00 UPS shipping.

NOTE: There was also a $65.51 charge for import into Canada which comprised of $24.06 GST, $39.10 brokerage fee and $2.35 GST on the broker fee. This will not matter to you if you are based in the US, but I mention it as an FYI for my fellow Canadians.

gallery_3272_120_10284.jpg

gallery_3272_120_8690.jpg

I removed the packing materials and was surprised at the small size of the contents. The plastic box is only 7" wide x 5.5" tall X 3.5" deep which I consider decent dimensions for travel. Inside was:

- 2 X neoprene universal gloves

- 2 X light units

- 1 X recharger

- 1 X instructions

Total weight of everything was ~2 pounds.

gallery_3272_120_2848.jpg

NOTE: The package listed a Euro-adapter plug for the AC plug on the charger, but this item was not included. I sent off an email to the company and they acknowledged the part would be sent to me as it as part of the order (and listed on the box contents). However, I was informed that this would be made into an extra item to be purchased separately in the future.

The lights had protective black rubber caps over the brass charging posts to protect them and insulate the posts from the contacts on the charger unit during transport. The light units were mounted on the charger stand during transport.

I removed the black rubber caps and plugged in the recharger to charge them up. The instructions stated a 60 minute charge was needed for one light and 3.5 hours for two. There is a red / green indicator light on the AC plug to show when the lights are charged. Actual charge time for my two lights was 3 hours and 22 minutes. The instructions state the lithium-ion batteries should last 500 charges, with one charge sufficient for 8 - 1 hour dives.

I pulled on the neoprene universal glove over my bare hand and it was a snug fit. The seams of the gloves are finely stitched, but do not appear to be glued even though there is ample extra material to do so. I would have liked to see glue as an additional reinforcement as that would fuse the pieces together and create a single piece of neoprene. I could feel the hard plastic underside of the light mount on the back of my hand, but there was no rubbing or discomfort and it was distributed evenly. I tried them with a pair of Bare 7MM, Henderson 7MM and Henderson 5MM wet suit gloves... I also used them with my old dry gloves. Once on, the additional weight was noticeable, but negligible and after a few minutes I got used to it. Dexterity was the same as just wearing wet suit gloves and there was no restriction in motion. When submerged the weight is reduced to about a quarter of what it is in air.

med_gallery_3272_120_35629.jpg

Removing the lights with gloves on is a different matter and I found it easier to pull off the wet/dry gloves with the universal glove in place than trying to remove just the universal glove. When the gloves are wet it becomes more challenging. The thin neoprene on the universal gloves is hard to grab as it is such a tight fit. This might make things difficult if you are wearing wet gloves and want to hand the light off to someone else underwater.

All materials used in this product appear to be of decent quality. The neoprene that makes up the universal gloves is well made and cut smoothly. There were no loose threads or rough finish. The glove mounts (or sleds as they are called in the instructions) are made of a smooth thick plastic with no sharp edges.

As an experiment, I put both universal gloves on over wet suit gloves (with light units mounted) and put on my Knighthawk BCD with tank and reg attached. My hands slipped through the straps with no issues. I was able to adjust all straps, hoses and connectors as I normally would. The smooth body of the lights and low profile ON / OFF switch minimizes any snagging. I was able to mount / remove the lights onto / from the sleds while wearing wet suit gloves. The sled latch holds the light securely in place.

The ON / OFF switch as noted above is low profile, but does not have any markings to show you if the unit is switched on or off. It is described in the instructions with a diagram, but there is no way of telling by looking at the unit. The switch has slightly raised ridges for grip and requires medium effort to move position. This is a good thing in my opinion as it reduces the chance of an accidental turn on in baggage. It is easily done with wet suit gloves on. All the wet gloves I tried have rubber grip material on the fingers and palm.

I was unimpressed when I turned it on in daylight. When it got dark I took them outside and they illuminated an impressive distance away. If you have no other source of light then they generate more than enough to see comfortably.

Once fully charged, the light output is equal to a 4 cell flashlight. I do not have access to instrumentation that measures lumens or other light units so my opinion has to be considered subjective. The light is spread over a slightly wider area than a regular flashlight. I decided to try an MP-1 and compare it to my SL-4 incandescent bulb light and an eLED SL-4 UK light as a comparison.

The photo here shows the MP-1 light (bottom) below the eLED SL-4 (top) in an otherwise dark room on a beige wall and white door. The lights were side by side approximately 12' from the wall. The MP-1 has 10 LED's where the SL-4 has one high output LED.

gallery_3272_120_9011.jpg

This photo shows the same door illuminated by the MP-1 (bottom) and an SL-4 incandescent light (top). The light levels are comparable, but the MP-1 pattern is more widely distributed.

gallery_3272_120_4826.jpg

This may be considered an "Apples and Oranges" comparison because the two lights have much different light distribution.

Conclusions: The light output is probably not sufficient for use as a primary light. However, I suspect it would work nicely as a backup / marker light on a night or wreck dive. It gives off enough illumination to see things close up and its diffuse light pattern would be good for locating gear, reviewing gauges or computer without overwhelming night vision. It would work well to illuminate hand signs on a night dive, for example. It certainly allows you to have light without occupying your hands. Using two of them would be more than sufficient for most general illumination needs. I have not dove with the lights yet (I was away the long weekend), but definitely will on my next outing.

I am very happy with the size and weight of the light package. The universal voltage charger makes it convenient to take on trips and the rapid charge time means you can put one in the rack before you go diving and have it ready by the time you get back. The low power of the lights means you can use it for an extended time. I suspect if you replaced the current LED's with high output ones it would be much brighter, but it would significantly shorten battery life. This would void the warranty as well...

All of the above negative observations above are very minor overall. For what I paid, versus what I got I am satisfied. They are small, lightweight and have an output equitable to a low power flashlight, but spread out in a much wider pattern. This should result in less backscatter from silt. Two together would be sufficient for general illumination on a night or wreck dive, but the light output would limit them to a backup role as previously mentioned. I really want to check them in dark silty conditions to check how they work. However, I will be unable to test in the water for some time. :( They can be used in other activities as well (hiking, camping, home repairs), so they are good all around general purpose lights.

Home

Note: I am in no way associated with this company or with anyone who works there.

I have commented before on this product but I say again that the company needs to make them with ultra high intensity LEDS so we get good bright light otta the deal for those of us diving in low viz. just my $.02

Great report. I too have a set ofthese and while diving in our somewhat local quarry during the day they were almost useless other than to let my buddy know I was OK when he looked at me. They didnt illuminate the bottom unless I was mere inches from the bottom. Plus any good for illumination of surroundings in the "green" water of the quarry (70 feet on a mostly sunny day, 20-30 foot viz).

I didnt do a night dive, but am looking forward to it in Cozumel with these as I am sure they will be well worth it. I'm also looking forward to using them night diving with my camera to see what it will do.

Also, already have 3 of the led bulbs out on one unit in 6 months.

I bought a set of these about a year ago and here are my conclusions after several dives with them...

1. These lights are a good concept and very handy overall. Since they are attached to your hand, I use them as an easy-to-find backup in case my primary fails. I also use them around the house when I need to just grab a flashlight.

2. These are not bright enough to be your primary light. It's not the brightness of the LEDs necessarily, but the optics need to be improved to better focus the light. These will not work well if you want a daytime nook n' cranny light.

3. These are REALLY handy in diving situations when you need both hands and it's inconvenient to hold a light in one - such donning / doffing fins during night dives, and making shore entries / exits at night carrying gear.

4. They also seem to be sturdily contructed and the guys who make them stand behind them. I had a problem with a faulty switch on one light and they replaced both of my lights w/ a improve-design switch mechanism.

Overall, these are a bit pricey for backup lights, but I have been pleased with the overall ownership experience of them and would purchase again.

Chris...welcome to scubaboard! Thanks for your comments on the lights.

Update on my lights. They died while on my trip in Cozumel in Janujary and I contacted the company. They gave me an RMA# to send them back and they are going to replace with the updated model. I'll update again once I receive them and get them in the quarry to see what they do.

At the very least - super handy for any other kind of use and my buddy that pilots a hot air balloon says they are perfect for setting up/taking down in dark situations and they CANNOT cause a spark...which is a good thing for him!

John

I have to say for the money the OMS 3 watt LED, is a much better light. I was able to impress to cave divers when I dove a cenote with them. They were amazed at the out put of that little 3 watt. And I was able to find the batteries for it for $1 a piece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom