Mozambique dive trip gone wrong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hehe, it may be that the locals wait until they get out of sight to laugh about spilling tourists not paying attention to the inevitable...? :D

Could very well be the case. I've seen it 1st hand in some countries.

It's also a good idea to do some research ahead of time on places you are going to visit, and try to learn as much about the diving, conditions, and state of the country before hand, especially when going to a foreign country.

Oh wow!? I also don't play with stay cats in under developed countries or "tame" cheetahs, but the penguins look like fun. :D

Fun? When I was a teenager, I used to clean oil off penguins after a tanker spill. (There were many). While scrubbing a large male, my best friend had his eyed ripped out of its orbit. It was dangling by the optic nerve. Left a lasting impression on me. Yes. it was surgically repaired. Watch out when you pet them!! :no:

Additional travel notes: Leave the penguins alone too...! :eek:

Went diving with that Ponto Malongane outfit last October.

There were two skippers driving boats. One was from S.A., one was German.

After one trip with the German we refused to go out with him again. He was like a Nazi! Also, his boat handling did not impress.

The other guy did an excellent job for the rest of the week, and received a good tip.

Wonder, Deefstes, was it the same German that took you and your good wife out?

Having read the email they sent it does state what the conditions are like there, and in other parts of that coast, fairly accurately IMO.
However, as others have said, I do believe it was skipper's error.

I assume you both put on the lifejackets supplied before launching, then stopped outside the breakers to take them off?
That is when a decent brief should be given to all aboard as to what to expect on the dive/recovery/beaching.

The German guy we had didn't do that. We had already spent a week down at Aliwal Shoals so we knew the story. Had we been fresh, then maybe we might not have fared so well.

Bottom line, I think sea conditions were marginal on the day you went out - having had three days of no diving due to weather/sea.
They probably took you out when they shouldn't have.
But having done so, that Duty of Care applied, and they bore responsibility for what happened.

I have a lot of respect for the boat handlers in that part of the world. It is unlike anything I've seen elsewhere.
A mistake was made, but the least they should do is offer you five days of free dives, and accommodation.

You were unfortunate. Best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery.

And be SURE to dive that coast again! You owe it to yourselves. It can be magical.

Seadeuce

BTW we would go diving with them again.

Deef, it really sounds like poor judgement/captain error. We know that someone has also suffered a broken nose with that company, according to the manager's admission in the letter you posted.

You asked if people thought these risks are normal for diving. No, I would say that violent beach landings are not normal, and should not be seen as acceptable. If there was a known risk of being ejected or breaking bones upon landing (and it was known), it should have been clearly stipulated before leaving, giving you the option of bailing or proceeding at your own risk. Also, if you decided to go on the dive, they should have briefed you about what to do to avoid injury and given you a warning as to when that might happen. In my opinion. :wink:

Fun? When I was a teenager, I used to clean oil off penguins after a tanker spill. (There were many). While scrubbing a large male, my best friend had his eyed ripped out of its orbit. It was dangling by the optic nerve. Left a lasting impression on me. Yes. it was surgically repaired. Watch out when you pet them!! :no:

omg. who knew.

i will avoid the penguins next time for sure. Sounds like i better stick to cheetah and jaguars.:eyebrow: But for the record -- i didnt pet the penguins - i was (rightfully) scared.

:eek:fftopic:

i didnt pet the penguin

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?? :rofl3::rofl3: :joke:

Deef, I feel so sorry for your wife and I hope she will quickly feel better and go back to diving or trekking.

But when I read this :

The wave that was behind the boat immediately hit the boat with such force that the skipper did not even had time to warn anybody nor to switch off the engines. This actually shows how close the wave really was because of the boat losing momentum in the white water. Should the wave caught up with you in the white water the consequences could have been far more disastrous,

Only one thing comes to my mind : It really could have been worse.

If you are prepared to dive in Southern Africa and especially KwaZulu Natal South Coast (SA) and Mozambique you have to be prepared to do shore entries and beachings.

There are no comfortable harbours close to these amazing diving spots. You will not be able to step of a pier onto a 5 star yacht or boat with stocked fridges, a meal or a dive compressor. You have to be prepared to do a shore entry with your gear tied to the deck, help to push the boat through the breakers and brace yourself for the beaching after the dive. By bracing I mean having your feet in the feet straps and holding onto the ropes with your hands.

These boats are fibreglass bottom boats with inflatable tops. They are approximately 25 feet long with 2 outboard motors and can carry 14 divers + with gear!! These boats are equiped with radios, emergency kids, etc. It is not your normal Zodiac like the ones the livesavers are using in Baywatch. :D

Violent beach landings are part of the package and there are risks. The beach landings can be very violent due to the fact that the boat needs to be driven as far on the beach as possible to enable the crew to get it onto a trailer again. If you are not prepared to take this risk don't do it. From experience the launching and beaching are just as exhilarating as the dive. It is however sad if any diver gets injured in the process.

And do keep in mind the Indian Ocean can be very rough. I do have a lot of respect for these skippers doing their job every day.

Theunis, I agree with you that the launches and beachings can be rough and one has to accept it as part of the package but I am still unwilling to accept that 4 people (skipper included) being flung from the boat while a fifth person breaks her nose and foot should be accepted as "coming with the package". If someone breaks his neck and spends the rest of his life in a wheelchair, is that still part of the package? How about if someone dies? Where do you draw the line?

We've had rough beachings before and I've lost my grip once and got a nice knock to the head against the bulkhead. Nothing serious but I learned my lesson and now hold on for dear life whenever we beach. So does my wife and the very reason she broke her foot in three places was because it was firmly lodged in the footstraps provided. Basically, there is nothing more she could have done to secure herself better and the very fact that the skipper of all people could not even stay on the boat is enough to illustrate to me that the beaching was out of control.

A part of me wants to believe that, even if a storm breaks out while you're at sea, the skipper should be able to get you to shore safely. No commercial plane will take off from the runway if they don't know beyond any doubt that the pilot can put the plane down safely again, regardless of what the conditions are. Even if the conditions turned bad while the plane was airborn, the pilot should be able to put the plane down safely.

In the rare instance where the pilot could not put the plane down safely, there are massive inquiries afterwards and explanations such as "this is the most dangerous runway in Mozambique" or "yes but the winds were particularly rough because it preceded the equinox" or "flying is a dangerous means of transport, you knew it before you embarked so if you get injured when we touch down you should accept that as part of the package" just would not fly (pardon the pun).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom