Mozambique dive trip gone wrong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Theunis. The boat hit the beach, not a sand bank. But look, I think I've already turned this into something bigger than I wanted to. It was unpleasant and very unfortunate and I still believe it should be avoidable but I its not as if I want to see the dive op bleed before I'll be satisfied. I wanted answers and I guess I got answers so I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for your input.

I remeber going to Roatan and was almost in tears when i arrived to a full roster for the next days' diving despite having reservations for months. --- fortunately Coconut Tree took care of me :wink:

I should have mentioned that we walked down to Ponto Do Ouro one day - and found several dive ops with with dry erase boards indicating who was diving on what boat to which site and at what time. (boats running all day to different places, unlike one "possible" trip at one time each day)

I must admit that it appeared (In Ponto Do Ouro) there were groups larger than i would have preferred, but cattle diving is better than NO diving - especially when factoring in the amount of time, money, effort, and planning required to get from the USA to a place like Mozambique.

And i have to agree with you that the idea of bracing yourself was never actually stressed. mentioned, but never stressed. And considering i had never done shore entries before - i would have appreciated a little more emphasis on holding on, or bracing for impact. But i am certain that the weather when i visited was much more cooperative than when you were there.

If you ever go back, i would love to hear about it. Or other operations in the area.

I am sure i will be back to Africa again soon.

Thanks Theunis. The boat hit the beach, not a sand bank. But look, I think I've already turned this into something bigger than I wanted to. It was unpleasant and very unfortunate and I still believe it should be avoidable but I its not as if I want to see the dive op bleed before I'll be satisfied. I wanted answers and I guess I got answers so I'll leave it at that.

When my stuff was stolen - it was like they didnt want to take any responsibilty for it. Its not like i knew who exactly took it - it may not have even been one of their employees - it could have been someon else. But a simple - 'i am really sorry' would have sufficed. Instead it was - 'Monkeys like shiney objects and must have ran off into the trees'. - my shirt was on top of any tiny shiny object. in fact, the only shiny object was my 14guage nose ring. (very small) My watch strap is black velcro. bezel was black, and face was yellow.

I feel sort of the same about how they are handling your situation (while acknowledging that the circumstances are much much different). It looks like they wrote five hundred words or so to BS around the fact that three or four people flew out of the boat and your wife was seriously injured - on their watch.

Without accepting any sort responsibilty. Blaming a wave. I am not saying the captain is at fault - but they wont even consider that this is an option. Are they perhaps worried about a law suit?

Again, I dunno - never been to Africa. I do work at safety diving and boating both, even tho it's just not my maverick nature. I'm often the only one testing his tanks for Carbon Monoxide and often the only one wearing an inflatable vest on the boat - depending on the situation. It's common in NC waters and the 3 hour ride out to pee off of the stern, but when bodies are found at sea it's common to find them with their flies open. If the boat hits a surprise wave on my turn, at least I'll float. If I were to be fortunate enough to go to Africa, I'd do a lot of research on the destinations & operators, then do everything I could to secure my safety for the entire trip - and if i was doing a beach landing at significant speed, I'd damned sure be holding onto something, even if it was a bungee or rope from my own dive bag that I tied to the boat.

We do stress safety in OW and other training in part to prepare for unsafe situations that happen to tourist divers traveling the tropics. Either hire a bodyguard or think for yourself and dangers lurk everywhere, more so in some parts of the world.
I agree Don however there was no mention of a rogue wave. The problem seems to have been that the wave immediately behind the boat was closer to the boat than the captian thought. This sort of sounds like it myight have been an error in judgement on his part. Being a professional Captian as the letter writer "tooted", I do not think it fair that we call this a rogue wave when it is quite possibly Captain judgement error (which happens). Is it fair to think it is judgement error? I am not a captain so I cannot say for sure.
Like I said, I wasn't there (and didn't read the lengthy email, wow) - pilot error or rogue wave? Caca happens, prepare for contingencies.
When my stuff was stolen - it was like they didnt want to take any responsibilty for it. Its not like i knew who exactly took it - it may not have even been one of their employees - it could have been someon else. But a simple - 'i am really sorry' would have sufficed. Instead it was - 'Monkeys like shiney objects and must have ran off into the trees'. - my shirt was on top of any tiny shiny object. in fact, the only shiny object was my 14guage nose ring. (very small) My watch strap is black velcro. bezel was black, and face was yellow.
And I don't wear jewelry onto a dive boat; sorry, but it just strikes me personally as a poor plan. I don't want to wear any in the water to attract predators, nor do I want to leave my personal items laying around on the boat as temptation to monkeys, low income employees, or admiring guests. Wow? "dive watch, tank top, pair of hand carved horn earings, and a surgical steel ring for my septum." You left all that laying out? Secure the jewelry in a hotel safe or locked bag in your room, keep up with your personal belongings - wear them or stow them. In visiting a country where I'd read "The minimum legal salary is around US$60 per month" and much more about like "resettlement of civil war refugees" of the previous decade - I'd expect anything I left laying anywhere to be seen as fair game.

"I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Todo...!"

DandyDon -- i took all that stuff off, and put it in my hat because i didnt want to dive wearing it. And it was on a wooden deck - not boat deck. Yes i did leave it - agreed.

But they also boast how safe it is there, and recommend charging lap tops and cameras on the picnic tables in the same area.

Clearly whomever took it was much less fortune financially than myself. But that has nothing to do with what i was talking about.

I was just posting my experience as to their inability to accept resonsibilty; Not to deny that i could have made better decisions.

My next decision will be to go try a different op.

Okay, I see, TY. Misread there. I am not defending any thieves, except maybe the monkeys as they really do take anything they can - it's their nature, but even if I heard "recommend charging lap tops and cameras on the picnic tables in the same area," I wouldn't risk it - especially with smaller eye-candy that'd be easier to sell or trade in an impoverished local area. I imagine the cameras and puters are safer there than jewelry and pretty tops.

And I come across as gruff, I know - especially today, sorry. It'll probly be worse after I get this sore tooth pulled. I think I'll sleep it off...

Oh wow!? I also don't play with stay cats in under developed countries or "tame" cheetahs, but the penguins look like fun. :D

ahahah glad you like the pics.

I didnt think you were being gruff, I just wanted to make sure that i wasnt coming off as overly angry about the actual thieving. Those people really are poor, i just wasnt buying the monkey story. The entire experience was just dissapointing - and one minor issue after another and this poor guys experience have just really turned me off to this place.

Sad, too, because the beach there is lovely. Most of the (local/native) staff were really nice and helpful - these people washed our dishes, started our cooking fires, loaded our gear onto the boat, etc... We shared our fish dinners with some of them at night. Very communal in a way. i liked the remoteness, etc. And we all had a secret crush on a guy that worked there named Janni/Yannni (?) :wink:

I would have better pics of the place but my friends camera (with memory card) got ripped off at the joberg airport on her way home to Cape Town... Stuff happens...everywhere.

Oh, man. I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish your wife all the best and a speedy recovery. Thank you for pointing out what can happen while riding in a Zodiac, I had no idea. I'll be extra careful next time I'm in one.

If the boat launches and landings here are as dangerous as he mentioned in his reply to you, than I would think they should really stress this before departing for the dive, and before returning to the bay. Also if it was as bad as the skipper said I would also think that he would have stressed to everyone to hold on.

Hehe, it may be that the locals wait until they get out of sight to laugh about spilling tourists not paying attention to the inevitable...? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom