Moving to Oahu on Friday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L

Lopaka

Hello All,

Been registered on this board for quite a while, but never really used it other than the photography section. And now, I find this O'Hana group at a frantic time in my life. I accepted a relocation package and job in Honolulu a few weeks ago, and the compressed timeline of it all has me arriving this Friday. My wife will take care of the packing here in SoCalif while I stay at a condo until we find a house to buy. She will come over late August to help with the house hunting.

We are both experienced California cold water divers, mostly out at the Channel Islands. Have spent every summer vacation since getting certified in 86 on the Big Island, and it is a no-brainer which diving we prefer. Casually searching for engineering jobs in Hawaii over the years finally paid off, and our dream of moving to the Islands is really happening.

We know nothing of diving Oahu, and will be appreciative of the knowledge of this group getting acclimated. I am outrageously busy now trying to finish what I can of moving preparations, but the upcoming diving to be had is tantalizingly in the back of my head all the time....................

Bob

Hey Bob...me from SoCal too, five years here now.

let me know if I can help with anything. (schools, housing)

Give us a yell when you are ready to dive!

Aloha and welcome. Get back to us when your ready to see Oahu diving. Not so nice as BI but still pretty good most days.

Congratulations on your new position and a dream come true.

The Oahu Ohana gets together to dive every now and then, we go out for lunch (we need to do that again soon :)) and sometimes just meet up. Our next official get together is Sept 4th (see link in my sig line)....seems we are still trying to figure out where we want to do/go...

Good luck with the move and hope to see you soon!

Aloha
Lisa

Wildcard:
Aloha and welcome. Get back to us when your ready to see Oahu diving. Not so nice as BI but still pretty good most days.
Come on, you don't have a buddy/friends system there like you do here, do you?

It is encouraging to know there are kindred spirits waiting for us. It is a momentous move for natives of SoCalif to undertake, having lived all our (middleaged) lives here. No kids to hassle with schools and such, just a kitten that will have to stay here another 4-5 months due to the cursed quarantine laws. Getting him to Hawaii will have to be our Christmas/New Years gift.

Correction: diving since 96, not 86. I only wish I was certified back then.............

justleesa:
Come on, you don't have a buddy/friends system there like you do here, do you?
Actually, yes, or pretty close anyway. How could I replace you thou?

justleesa:
The Oahu Ohana gets together to dive every now and then, we go out for lunch (we need to do that again soon :)) and sometimes just meet up.

We do need to plan another lunch soon - it may be easier to plan it on a Saturday once you start working your new position, since where we all work is rather spread out (distance wise) to make a weekday lunch feasible.

Bob - yes, let us know when you're ready to dive.

Hey Bob,

Welcome to Oahu! I am actually experiencing the same situation as you. I moved here two weeks ago and my family will come out here next month while I settle down.

It has been a tough two weeks trying to feel my way around for housing. I am currenty staying in a condo while I look, but sharing.

I was lucky enough to dive with this wonderful group of SB'ers. Once you get settled in, I'm sure they'll make you feel welcomed! BTW, I hope to dive with them again soon.

Chris

Waikiki is still a zoo of one-way streets and traffic, but I'll cope with getting lost finding my way back to Kuhio Ave. The company provided apartment is just fine for temporary digs and getting my bearings adjusted. Pounding beer at Magoo's last night with the crew from the new company helped get me adjusted to the time zone, and the afternoon showers were cool.

Look forward to meeting you all as I get squared away. My dive gear will not arrive for a couple months, hopefully coinciding with buying a house. Suspect I will be plenty distracted in the meantime.............

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom