Moving to Hawaii in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerDiver8

Contributor
Reaction score
Ventura County, California, United States
# of dives
500 - 999
not sure if this is the right place to post this, but i just got back from a research trip to Maui Hawaii, and was offered a job as a naturalist during whale season. I wont be moving till the end of the year, but wanted to get some tips on planning the move over, if anyone here has made the jump. Also i am trying to get an idea of what DM get paid out there, so i can try and get a job for the off season of the whales. Does anyone have an idea on what they get paid out there. Im trying to figure out logistics of moving, ie how much ill make versus cost of living etc, to see if it is feasible. Also if anyone knows someone i can talk to out there i would appreciate it. I have local connections (friends who are born and raised in Oahu) but would like to get some diving connections.

Aloha Tigerdiver,

Email at greg@gregjwalker.com. I moved here about 9 years ago and can provide some good pointers with both DM opportunities and rental prices. I am a DM and a Realtor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In this market, you should start saving money to become an instructor.

I moved out to Oahu from NYC this past August. If you're moving a vehicle or any furniture, I have no advice for you. There are moving/shipping companies for people with stuff like that, and I'm told they cost a lot.

As for everything else, USPS Flat Rate Board Game Boxes, Parcel Post, and Media Mail (if you're moving a library) are all your friends. Note, however, that Every. Single. Box. that I sent over looked like it had been jumped on by King Kong. Despite packing a bunch of dishes rather carefully, I think something like 4-5 pieces out of 60 survived. Also, track them all. I lost track of what went where when I moved, but I'm pretty sure the Parcel Post box that had my Z1, tank neck orings, and I really can't say what else is MIA.

Lastly, you can fit a LOT of stuff in the right piece of luggage with a 70lb allowance...and upgrading to first class (at least on United) will get you three 70lb bags for the cost of sending one of them by UPS. Plus the flight is a lot nicer, and you book more FF miles.

Keep in mind that if you send anything parcel post, it could easily take 3 months to arrive. We sent 2 boxes last year that took 3 months and a week to arrive!!

Also, it is likely that nobody will speak seriously with you about a job until you move over there. A friend of mine moved to Maui last October and although she talked with a couple of dive operations prior to her move, they wouldn't have any serious type of discussion until she was physically on island and ready to start. She got a job very quickly as a DM/instructor and is loving it!

I moved out to Oahu from NYC this past August. If you're moving a vehicle or any furniture, I have no advice for you. There are moving/shipping companies for people with stuff like that, and I'm told they cost a lot.

As for everything else, USPS Flat Rate Board Game Boxes, Parcel Post, and Media Mail (if you're moving a library) are all your friends. Note, however, that Every. Single. Box. that I sent over looked like it had been jumped on by King Kong. Despite packing a bunch of dishes rather carefully, I think something like 4-5 pieces out of 60 survived. Also, track them all. I lost track of what went where when I moved, but I'm pretty sure the Parcel Post box that had my Z1, tank neck orings, and I really can't say what else is MIA.

Lastly, you can fit a LOT of stuff in the right piece of luggage with a 70lb allowance...and upgrading to first class (at least on United) will get you three 70lb bags for the cost of sending one of them by UPS. Plus the flight is a lot nicer, and you book more FF miles.

Reseach your shipping company! We had a similar horrible experience with Guardian Shipping out of California.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom