Moving to Champaign, IL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hartattack

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all, I am looking for dive buddy's near Champagne, IL. I will be new to the area and would like to get familiarized with the dive scene and locations. Thanks!

Welcome to the flatlands! You're coming, I'm going (to Seattle), so I can't be of immediate assistance to you as a buddy.

Most of your decent dive sites are going to be a few hours' drive:
  • Haigh Quarry is a common inland practice site, which is about 1h15m north of Urbana-Champaign;
  • Hammond, IN (border suburb of Chicago) has Double Action Dive Charters, which is your closest boat diving, 2h;
  • Mermet Springs, IL is about 3.5h south of you;
  • Milwaukee, WI is about 3.5h north and has deeper wrecks for charter diving;
  • You'll be about 3.5-4h from the Bonne Terre Mines south of St. Louis.
Addendum: my understanding is that the Mississippi River is all blackwater diving and not worth considering if you are not being paid to look for a body with a paid, competent support crew.

Awesome! Thanks for the info :)

My wife is (Veterinary School) and I will be working at the USDA.

I’m in the Chicago area. You might also try France Park Quarry in Logansport, IN for some variety. About 2.5 hours from you, per Google Maps.

Back
Top Bottom