Greetings from Crystal Lake, IL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan_C

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

New member of the SCUBA community from Crystal Lake, IL. I’m actually fairly new to Illinois as well. I am bummed to learn that they don’t allow solo diving a Three Oaks Rec. Area, my local quarry, so I need to find local dive buddies as well as people who like to dive other locations. I want to log several dives and gain experience but I have a family so getting time to dive is tough. Coordinating dive time and a buddy is even harder. I am interested in diving all the regional quarries but my ultimate goal is to wreck dive Lake Michigan. That is very intriguing to me. Anyone in the area looking for a dive buddy, please keep me in mind.

I work very near Three Oaks.

Haigh Quarry near Kankakee does allow solo for solo certified divers. If diving with buddies at HQ, you also don’t have to pull a flag.

Look up the Chicago Scuba Meetup on FB. Lots of people use the FB group for arranging dives or finding buddies. If you refuse to use FB, you’re going to have a much harder time finding buddies.

"If you refuse to use FB . . ." It seems like you know me. :)

I have thus far in life managed to never login to Facebook. But, this may be an excuse to swallow my pride and create an account.

I have thus far in life managed to never login to Facebook. But, this may be an excuse to swallow my pride and create an account.

A lot of posters come to SB complaining of not having any buddies. Turns out they’re not on FB. You don’t have to be an active user, but in the Midwest, many dives are arranged via FB. If you refuse to be on FB, you’re going to have an much harder time finding buddies.

I found most of my buddies on scubaboard. That's cool- you live where my dad grew up! It's a cute area.
I live in PA but travel all the time. Once I get cleared to dive again, maybe we could meet up and do a few dives if you want.

you're not missing much...
actually you are, the absolute cancer that is heated political arguments.

. . . and that is the key reason why I have stayed away from FB.

I was hoping that forums such as this would be a sufficient alternative to FB. Plus there does seem to be an abundant dive community here and I just need to meet everyone. Every time I am in the dive shop, it is mobbed with people. Plus, "fun dives" are generally full.

you're not missing much...
actually you are, the absolute cancer that is heated political arguments.

FB is what you make of it. It’s a politics free place for me. If people complain about lacking dive buddies, yet won’t take advantage of available resources, that’s on them.

You can contact Haigh and ask to be matched with someone when you get there. Or solo dive. But if you don’t want to make the drive down there…

I found most of my buddies on scubaboard. That's cool- you live where my dad grew up! It's a cute area.
I live in PA but travel all the time. Once I get cleared to dive again, maybe we could meet up and do a few dives if you want.
I am actually a transplanted southerner but I love Crystal Lake. Since we moved here my kids have gotten into local culture by learning hockey now they are both crazy about it. And that's where most of my time goes . . .

By all means, anytime you head this way, give me a shout and we can find a place to blow bubbles. But needing clearance to dive again sounds scary. I hope all is well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom