Mounting knife and light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I just ordered a Halcyon rig and will need to mount my UK remora and UK SL4 to the harness. I was thinking of hanging the light from one of my chest mounted D-rings with a bolt snap configuration. My plan was to ziptie a bolt snap to the light and mount it, but I could also use a double end bolt snap and eliminate the ziptie...opinions?

I was thinking of mounting the Remora on my inflator hose (it has a hose mount adapter)...any opinions on that?

Thanks!

I don't like to use a lot of zip ties. Just a confidence thing for me. I would recommend using regular #24 cave line to attach a regular bolt snap to the light.

I'm not familiar with your knife, but you want a small knife on the waist strap located just left of center. Some people put the knife on the right side and hook the long hose on it -- this works too. I tuck the excess hose in the waist strap.

Mike

Does that knife come with a way to mount it to your waist belt? If so, that would be a good place for it. Kinda like a holster for a gun.

For the light, I would mount it on the D ring close to what you said. However, do not use a zip tie, use cave line to mount the bolt snap to the light. Then get a 1 inch piece of bicycle inner tube and place the harness through that. Use the bicycle inner tube to hold the light close to your chest by placing the light through it. Then clip the light to your d ring. You can place the inner tube above or below the dring, depending on how you like it.

I knew I would get the waist strap comments. Since I just finished Ch. 6 in the DIRF book, I suppose I should mount it there....I just always liked that damn hose mount *sigh*.

I think I can take off the hose mount and somewhere in my mountain of dive crap there is a strap mount attachment for it.

I will probably do the right side mount since I dive a 7' primary hose with singles and no canister light....gotta have somewhere to route that hose!

Thanks

:) And you thought these guys were going to tell you something different? :D
Ken

Originally posted by O-ring
I knew I would get the waist strap comments. Since I just finished Ch. 6 in the DIRF book, I suppose I should mount it there....I just always liked that damn hose mount *sigh*.

I think I can take off the hose mount and somewhere in my mountain of dive crap there is a strap mount attachment for it.

I will probably do the right side mount since I dive a 7' primary hose with singles and no canister light....gotta have somewhere to route that hose!

Thanks

O-ring

Keep in mind that you might want to put the knife on the left side behind the buckle, otherwise you might loose it since it could easily slip off the right side when you aren't buckled in

Or would that seriously jeopardize the strength of the harness webbing?

I agree with Wendy. You can certainly lose the knife if on the right side. Some people do it this way, but I prefer to tuck the excess hose in the waist belt.

Mike

So the double end bolt snap is a no go, eh? It seems easier and stronger than using cave line or zip ties...

Uh, I dinna ken *kids* ....

It seems a bit hazardous to route your primary too close
to a sharp knife that you might be trying to one-hand
deploy and stow.

Know what I mean?

G_M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom