Mounting BP to Wing???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoneCrusher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok.. I think I have a stupid question, but don't know the answer. The wing has three upper holes and three lower holes. On the plate there are 3 upper holes and a large slotted lower hole. The question is... The 3 holes in the plate do not exactly match up with all three upper holes in the wing. Do I use one bolt, two bolt, or do I have to use 3 bolts for things to work? Don't understand why the three upper holes do not all line up.

Thanks!

Ok.. I think I have a stupid question, but don't know the answer. The wing has three upper holes and three lower holes. On the plate there are 3 upper holes and a large slotted lower hole. The question is... The 3 holes in the plate do not exactly match up with all three upper holes in the wing. Do I use one bolt, two bolt, or do I have to use 3 bolts for things to work? Don't understand why the three upper holes do not all line up.

Thanks!

I assume you're diving singles?

The three holes in the wing are there for adjustability, same with the backplate. If you're using an STA, it will have one upper bolt, and one lower bolt. You line the upper bolt up with one of the upper holes in the wing, and one of the upper holes in the plate. The spacing between the upper and lower bolts is a uniform 11" on the STA, the plate and the wing, so the the lower bolt will simply line up with the correct hole/slot once you have the upper bolt in.

If you're just using cambands through the slots in the plate and wing, without an STA, you don't deal with the holes at all.

So in short, the three holes don't line up because you don't need to use all three. Some wings only come with one upper hole and one lower hole, same with some plates. Choose one hole (I suggest starting with the middle hole) and go.

Which plate and which wing are you trying to set up? Not all plates line up with all wings. That's why the place multiple wholes not to mention you can also set up the plate and wing higher or lower depending on your preference.

You can use one bolt on in one of the upper holes and a bolt on the lower slot and you would be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

He typed faster than me and much better too :)

Same manufacturer for the wing and backplate?

Regarding the mounting the wing to the backplate, you have two options.

1. Using a single tank adapter (STA), there are two bolts (one upper and one lower) that are 11" OC apart. It goes BP > Wing > STA > Tank.

2. Using cam bands, there are cam band slots on the wing and plate. You thread the cam bands through both, and the securing to the tank sandwiches things into place. If the cam band slots are long, then using sex bolts on one upper and one lower hole on the wing and plate prevents the wing from shifting up.

That plate an wing are made for each other so there shouldn't be a problem. Some people prefer no to use bolts when not using a STA. Sex bolts make it easier IMO to set up and not having the wing move around.

On the HOG 32, you do not need an STA,it has a bead channel to hold the tank in place. I too would recommend that you get a pair o' sex bolts to attach the wing to the plate. It's a little sturdier than just cam bands and prevents the wing from moving when you're changing over tanks. MY wife and I dive the same setup and love it. If you have any issues, check out the Edge section under manufacturers section. Chris from Edge (HOG) is great about getting back with helpful responces.

Lowe's has the "sex bolts" in the stainless steel bolt drawer. You can use a piece of Teflon tape on the bolt threads to keep them from coming apart. The tape is about a buck at Lowe's also.

You can use a piece of Teflon tape on the bolt threads to keep them from coming apart.

Um, teflon tape is used to make it EASIER to thread things together, such as pipe fittings, etc. By extension it would make things easier to COME APART too.

:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom