Motion sickness ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are going to the Galapagos at the end of this month and a little concerned about motion sickness. I have a prescription of Transderm and it says 1 patch is good for 72 hrs. Only once removed replace with new one. I will be gone for 8 days and wanted to know how to dive with them? Should I remove carefully and put back on after the dive with tape? Or keep it on as it will not fall off underwater? Or spend another $55 for 4 patches and replace every day?

Keep them on during your dives. Once in a whole one might come off prematurely, but that's only happened to me a few times. You'll need three for 8 days, with one to spare. A side effect of the patch is blurry vision. I don't experience it, but my wife does if she has one on over several days.

I've used them on liveaboards before and they work great. If you've never used one, please try it at home to make sure you don't have a bad reaction. I know someone who was repeatedly violently sick until they took it off, and another person who literally went blind for 2 days (she wound up hospitalized).

what I did when I used mine for diving was buy those super sticky, clear, waterPROOF band aids. I cut off the sticky part on one side and stuck it on my patch. I've never lost a patch....but have seen too many people that have to risk not using the extra sticky.

They will stay on underwater and in the shower, but divemaven's idea is a good one.

microporous tape holds up well. Too well in fact underwater just use it when your skin is dry.

We are going to the Galapagos at the end of this month and a little concerned about motion sickness. I have a prescription of Transderm and it says 1 patch is good for 72 hrs. Only once removed replace with new one. I will be gone for 8 days and wanted to know how to dive with them? Should I remove carefully and put back on after the dive with tape? Or keep it on as it will not fall off underwater? Or spend another $55 for 4 patches and replace every day?

To start with, I'm not a medical person, but I am a un-repentant 'spewer'. Although I love being on and in the water, I get sick pretty rapidly.

Fortunately my wife can prescribe, and she hooked me up with Zophran. Zophran is the 'go-to' drug for nausea associated with chemotherapy. Strictly speaking, Zophran, Ondansetron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, will not stop sea sickness. It will only suppress the nausea associated with sea-sickness. (more than good enough for me)

Unlike Scopalomine, no dry-mouth, you don't need to worry about the patch floating off, and about $6 per tablet, a relative bargain :)

Zophran is now a permanent part of my 'save-a-dive' kit

I tried Transderm once, during my IDC of all times! :(

I had a very bad reaction to the stuff. Went on it three days ahead of time to make sure I'd be OK and man did it mess me up. It actually had the reverse effect, gave me sea sickness without being on the sea. So yea, for sure try it WAY in advance and it does take 8 hours to get out of your system, its NOT instantaneous.

Ya know, I'm more of a hypochondriac about sea sickness, rather then someone who suffers from it. I've done plenty of boat diving and I usually just find a bench to lay on and close my eyes during the trip out. Usually once on the site, your so busy with things, the boat moving is inconsequential.

I honestly wish there was a better "cure" for sea sickness. Sadly, its all about getting your sea legs and once you do, you'll be ripe as rain. I have a few friends who did live-aboards and after the third day, didn't even think twice about sea sickness.

I like the Zophran idea, might try that if I can work up the gumption to hit another boat dive! heh :wink:

I will be gone for 8 days and wanted to know how to dive with them? Should I remove carefully and put back on after the dive with tape? Or keep it on as it will not fall off underwater? Or spend another $55 for 4 patches and replace every day?

Hi RDRINK,

The patch should not fall off underwater. To assist with adhesion, shave the spot behind the ear where the patch is to be placed and then wipe the area with rubbing alcohol just prior to application. Attempt to protect the patch from mechanical dislodgement during donning/doffing of hoods and the like. If the patch does fall off, you can throw it away and put a new one behind the other ear, but don't do this on a routine basis.

Attempting to remove the patch after a dive & then later reattach it will cause the patch to lose adhesion. Also, it risks damaging the drug delivery mechanism.

You might also wish to read this --> Doc Vikingo's Sea Sickness Remedies

I love the Galapagos. Do have fun.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom