Most versatile wetsuit wardrobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LPA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was looking for some input on my reasoning. Have been renting wetsuits wherever I go because of luggage weight, but getting a bit tired of using old and torn suits. So I'm looking into buying the most versatile system for my needs. Dive mostly warm, think Florida and south from there.
My thoughts were to get a 3mm (looking at akona quantumstretch), with a 5mm hooded vest for when it is colder or if I want to do any caves in Florida. Would it make more sense to get a 5mm with vest, assuming that I can either go with just rash guard if its warmer. Seems like that would enable to dive 90% of the most popular dive spots.
As for colder diving up here in the North-East, I fear I'll have to keep renting drysuits anyhow (not yet sure if I want to shell out $$$ for the low vis wreck dives here).

You're thinking is pretty close for the waters you plan on diving. Just remember that cold is a factor of time. What works on a 20-30 minute reef dive will become woefully inadequate on longer dives, so be sure to factor that in if you plan on "hanging out" underwater for longer.

frankly I'd get a fairly lightweight drysuit and just use that. You can use ankle seals instead of boots if you want. Rofos is where I would go
Trilaminate RS450k Drysuit - Dive Right in Scuba

Similar to the TLS350, and if you think the ankle seals would be better for the warm water stuff you are doing, then I'm sure DRiS can put them on for you. Will dry faster, and pack about the same size as a full size 3mm...

Diving in Florida Keys if I do 4 hour long reef dives, which is easy to do, I am getting a bit chilled on dives 3 and 4. My generic traveling wet suit is a 4/3 and then either a beanie or a 3 mm hooded vest if it cold. But then my 4/3 has a few hundred dives on it so maybe it is now a 3.

I agree that ideally the most versatile is a drysuit, but both cost and hassle make that a no-go for now.
As for thickness if I would go for suit + vest, I feel like 5mm might be the most versatile, if it's too hot, just go without wetsuit for the first dive(s). And with a 5mm hooded vest, I might be able to push it close to equivalent of a 7mm.
Most dives I do are deeper wreck dives, so usually 2 dives, each 30-45 mins

It sounds like some combination of your ambition and cold tolerance has ruled out shorties so that narrows things down a lot.

If you get a vest by all means make it hooded. The way it will slash water exchange through the neck opening is of huge benefit, probably more so than the extra rubber on your core. A hooded "chicken vest" worn under a full suit is a lot of comfort with minimal buoyancy.

The thickness of the full suit comes down to what you can be comfortable wearing for the shallow warm water (80-82F) dives. Some divers may be way too warm in a 5mm dictating 3mm.

Getting it down to one suit is compounded the slippery slope of repetitive diving. What feels nice for dive on on day one can be woefully inadequate by dive 2 of day 3 sucking the fun out of everything.

Your span is such that a single combo may not get you there. I think the Florida diving suggests you need a 5mm full suit and 3mm hooded chicken vest, maybe even a 5mm hooded step-in vest. If that has you OK in Florida the questions becomes what do you need for your intensity of diving in warm water.

Sometimes a wardrobe is unavoidable. It's good to remember that the vests can complement multiple full suits.

More here

Pete

I wanted pretty much the same. I ended up with a custom made Elios 5mm, 2 piece beavertail (like freediving suits) wetsuit, with integrated hood.

It's as warm as a 7mm, more confortable than a normal 5mm. The inside has no lycra, so you need to at least get the inside wet to put it on. Better is to use 1/3 conditioner 2/3 water and spray the inside to put it on. Seems complicated but takes 30 seconds and then is easier to put on than a normal 5mm.

Because it's custom made it fits perfectly, and theres no water movement whatsoever inside the suit. If the water is too warm, you can flush the suit from the neck with water. If it is still too warm it means I can dive in shorts and rashguard for 1h30 without being cold at all.

Warm enough to dive the cenotes in mexico without being cold, and even 1hr dives in the st-lawrence but only at the peak of summer. 20 degrees Celcius is pretty much my limit, but I get cold easily.

I've done almost 100 dives with the suit so far and it's pretty durable, no damage and not compressed. I'd buy the same again before any other wetsuit at any price, but i'd order it with knee protectors, I forgot to ask for them this time.

Their website is not easy to navigate but this is what I ordered :

Suit 5mm new black coating smooth inside / Nylon elastic black outside Neoprene Heiwa, complete of jacket closed with hood incorporated + high waist pants in tailor made Price Euro 264,00 - + freight costs by courier in Canada Price Euro 50,00
- TOTAL TO PAY EURO 314,00

Received in about a month I believe, and 314 Euros is pretty cheap in my opinion for such a quality custom made wetsuit.

there's no magic suit. I would want a full 3 mm suit with a back zip for water 80 or above.

I would want a thin, not tight 2-3 mm hood for when the water is a little cooler.

I would want a 3 mm hooded vest to add over the outside of the suit when it is a little cooler.

When it gets cooler, I might try the suit, the vest and the second hood over top the hooded vest.

Then I would also buy a decent 5 mm one piece jump suit.

Adding the hooded vest and hood combo, should extend you temperature range down to around 55 or 58 degrees.

Colder than that, and you need a third wetsuit.. I would drop about $275 on a quality 7 mm freedive suit which has smooth rubber on the inside and two pieces and no zippers.

Of course you are gonna need to add warm socks or boots and gloves along the way.

3 suits is the practical minimum.. I have a lot more than that..

I live in the Caribbean and have 1, 3, and 5mm suits, 3mm jacket and 3/5mm hooded vest. I wear them all at different seasons. However, when I travel, I usually take the 1mm or 3mm along with the hooded vest. You can also add some leggings under your wetsuit and a rash guard. They don't take up much room or weigh a lot in your luggage.

Back
Top Bottom