Most Similian liveaboards are a SCAM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do a lot of diving in Thailand - in fact I am between back-back trips that take in the Similans, Richilieu, and the Mergui Archipelago (Myanmar).

Diving in the Similans is so-so. Usually clear water but not a lot of creatures - big or small. Dive sites can be crowded to include Richilieu Rock. As has been noted - boats at all price ranges and you really need to look hard at what you are paying and what you will get.

Get up to Myanmar sites if you can. Lots of good diving at places such as Western Rocky. Black Rock used to be hot - less so on my last couple of visits.

DontLieToMe:
I do a lot of diving in Thailand - in fact I am between back-back trips that take in the Similans, Richilieu, and the Mergui Archipelago (Myanmar).
Get up to Myanmar sites if you can. Lots of good diving at places such as Western Rocky. Black Rock used to be hot - less so on my last couple of visits.

Indeed if you want uncrowded waters, the Mergui Archipelago is the place. Best time to dive - February - April. Not many boats. I have done a couple of trips, and during one 7 day trip saw no other dive boats, BUT quite a few fishing boats. Some areas hit hard by fishing and dynamite, some areas still lovely, and I saw quite a few sharks (big grey reef, and one huge silvertip). Not as many sharks as there used to be, and many divers now go there more for the macro life. Lots of photographers.

One thing more - there are no cheap liveaboards for Burma. Minimum 1000 U$.

Burma Dive Sites

First off I AM A Guy where Mrstein = a women I have no idea at all ??????

Did I say that EVERY boat in phuket is a Scam not I did not.

Did I think to ask at the dive shop if they are going to be carting around 40-50+ everyday that I was on the boat no I didnt,Shame on me.

However nor did any of the other passageners on the boat ask either,why becasue none of us figred we would be scammed on a liveaboard.

Can you find awesome diving in Thailand I am sure that you can but I am telling you that the similians is NOT the place for it.

How folks can come on here and claim this is mind boggling to me ???????

It sucks nothing great at all,I am just warning people that before you travel all the way to phuket PLEASE make sure that you ASK a lot of questions and get on a boat that doesnt provide a Taxi service for divers coming and going thats all.

It sucks being stuck on a boat where over half the divers cant dive worth a damn and its crowded to the hilt.

Another thing that I found is that many divemasters or should I say So-called divemasters are out Hustling boats because the get a cut off the customers on top of there pay.

These guys are Bottom feeders.

Just make sure to ASK lots of questions thats all.And dont think that everyone on here posting is an expert on where to dive and the best places to go.

I am not saying that I am But I will tell ya when I see a spade I call it a spade.

The similians is a SPADE Period ....................

Go and see for yourself.

Mrstein

mrstein:
First off I AM A Guy where Mrstein = a women I have no idea at all ??????

Did I say that EVERY boat in phuket is a Scam not I did not.
No, but you did choose to title this thread " Most Similian liveaboards are a SCAM".

Did I think to ask at the dive shop if they are going to be carting around 40-50+ everyday that I was on the boat no I didnt,Shame on me.

However nor did any of the other passageners on the boat ask either,why becasue none of us figred we would be scammed on a liveaboard.
Experienced divers would ask this.

Can you find awesome diving in Thailand I am sure that you can but I am telling you that the similians is NOT the place for it.
You know this from one trip? Wow.

How folks can come on here and claim this is mind boggling to me ???????
Because we had a good time.

It sucks nothing great at all,I am just warning people that before you travel all the way to phuket PLEASE make sure that you ASK a lot of questions and get on a boat that doesnt provide a Taxi service for divers coming and going thats all.
I've sailed the South Siam from port as well as joined it via speedboat. While sailing direct from port (you still take a minibus either way) is nicer, it takes longer than by speedboat to get to the Similans. Anyway, I knew before I booked that I'd be using the speedboat.

It sucks being stuck on a boat where over half the divers cant dive worth a damn and its crowded to the hilt.

Another thing that I found is that many divemasters or should I say So-called divemasters are out Hustling boats because the get a cut off the customers on top of there pay.
And how do you know this?

These guys are Bottom feeders.

Just make sure to ASK lots of questions thats all.And dont think that everyone on here posting is an expert on where to dive and the best places to go.

I am not saying that I am But I will tell ya when I see a spade I call it a spade.

The similians is a SPADE Period ....................

Go and see for yourself.

Mrstein
I don't think anyone here claims to be "an expert". We just share our personal experiences and voice our civil opinions (hopefully) :)

Mrstein- From your profile ("I chase hookers") and comments and language in your post, I have to question your judgment on this. It appears you did select a boat that offers a less than desirable experience for most, and it is certainly fair to give your opinion on it. However, I have to question how "objective" it really is (opinions are, of course, subjective).

However, there are numerous boats that go to the Similans (at least there were before the tsunami struck). And there are many different modes of operation on these boats. Your experience is with ONE boat. Based on that you have the "right" to complain about YOUR experience, but NOT to suggest that divers avoid ALL trips to the Similans.

Personally, I found the month I spent in Thailand to be fun and filled with some good diving (and I have dived in many places around the world over the past 45 years). Well, that is if you disregard the scams and pollution in Bangkok. The people in the rural and island areas were wonderful.

Just because I chase hookers doesnt mean that I dont know what time of day it is.

I guess being honest on an Ultra conservative board cant benifit most ????????

Its funny when posts do arrive in such a manner of stirring up the pot It amazes me on How many experts come out of the WOODS.

You should have done you should have asked this question

You should of could of would of.

But its funny nobody except myself has had the guts to come on here and Say it how it is and I understand why becasue most WONT take my side.

The similians overall is a Joke and becasue so many of You think its great thats cool with me.

BUT Dont come on here and paint these awesome picture that all the Dive shops and simillians diving is great.

Truth is Most dive shops in PHUKET rip off there customers and DO not tell them anything.Should have I asked Sure I sure should of But one would think becasue of the Buildup of such so called great diving in phuket You wouldnt have to as that was my thought process at the time. And I have news for all of YOU most thought the same way I did and divers with Thousands of dives under there belts.

The couple that I meet onboard was divemasters from England that thought the excat same way as I did.So please dont preach to me as How you would have done things.

Because I have seen is posts will folks DO NOT Take the objective and say it how it really is.

Diving anywhere could be great or suck,however when you visit such a place that the Hype is already built in You dont think about asking the Main questions as You think that the dive shops will do the right thing.

THEY DONT and overall that is why Dive shops ESP in the USA have been suffering a SLoW death.

People are Sick of getting ripped off and lied too.

Once again Diving in ASIA is awesome. Just dont make the mistake I did and go with a so called live aboard that scmas people.

A great deal of them do in phuket THIS IS A FACT.

Its funny watch the posters who Flame me up all over the place most of them have something to lose in a sense.

If you are going to Dive Thailand dive somewhere Really good or go on a liveaboard that takes you way out.

My suggestion go to the Burmas or Maldives Just pass on Thailand unless you are there and want a nice 1 day 2 tank dives.

If you are going to ASIA esp for diving Pass on the similians You will be happy that you did.

Dont get up in the hype of so called experts that have dove all over Most of them couldnt beat there way out of a paper bag.

Diving is a great hobby but be carefull to whom you listen to.I was at the so called scuba show last year in long beach It was a joke and many in the industry were a Joke on top of it.

Truth hurts doesnt it.

Its your vacation and Your money dont let some knuckle head ruin it for ya.

Mrstein

I think you are probably trawling (trolling)....... whatever, Mr Stein and I almost didn't dignify your ramblings with a response.

However, it would be a shame to leave anyone who is slightly on the fence on this issue with the belief that you could be correct. The Similans are a wonderful place to dive.

As Batfish said, the boat you used is a budget boat designed as that. My backpacker son went with South Siam last year and for a few dollars had two brilliant days.

In November I went on a mid price boat (Queen Scuba) to the Similans and did some of the best diving I've done in six years anywhere in the world.

But as I said...........I'm sure you're on a wind up!

Good one Moonwrasse. Couldn't imagine that guy having fun on any dives.I think he chose the wrong sport. Sour grapes!

mrstein:
Dont get up in the hype of so called experts that have dove all over Most of them couldnt beat there way out of a paper bag.
I'm not sure why you think that anyone has set themselves up as an expert. People have simply said what they thought about diving in the Similans and they don't agree with you. Now why that is could be for a few reasons - you could have been unlucky with your choice of boat, or maybe timing, who knows? Suggesting that no-one who enjoyed the Similans is telling the truth or can't dive is a bit far fetched though - how would you know? Some people have been there many times so have a bit more experience than your once. Trolling is against our board rules though, so please could you be a bit more moderate in how you state your opinions. The way they have been stated so far doesn't really make me want to believe very much that you've said.

Back
Top Bottom