Most Similian liveaboards are a SCAM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True, South Siam can get crowded when the speedboat arrives to exchange guests/bring the day guests. However I've never experienced the 50 divers, more like 30 mac.
Everyday there are 5 dives, and you can dive 4 of them max per day. Morning deep dive (catch the sleepy sharks), 10am or so dive, 2pm or so dive, a evening dive and a night dive. The speedboat arrives for the 10am dive and departs after the 2pm dive. So for the first and last 2 dives of the day there are considerably fewer guests, at least in my experience. Several timnes it was just myself and DM on those 3 dives, which is very nice.

I don't know why the OP had such a rotten time, my experiences are otherwise. Perhaps the OP just friightened the fishes away :wink:

mrstein:
I did notice a few fellow divers looking into diving the similians ......

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON IT AT ALL PERIOD

UNREAL I would never reccomend any diving at all in the Similians on here to anyone I DO NOT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS ITS A SCAM ......

Find a shop that has liveaboards that go out and stay out and once you are ON them Nobody gets off or comes on until the Entire Days of diving are 100% complete......

Everything else is a WASTE OF TIME.............................

Mrstein

Mrstein, yes, you most certainly get what you pay for! It would be interesting to know whether the salesperson told you the honest truth about what to expect on this Liveaboard. Sounds like you were misinformed. Like anything else in life you pay cheap you get cheap!

Batfish:
Ho Ho.

Just so you know, I will bring this thread to the attention of South Siam Divers. They do listen, and over the last few years have been good to work with.
Yes, and I've found John (who is a boat leader) to be particulary conscious.
He originates from the same rock you do :wink:

MoonWrasse:
Yes, and I've found John (who is a boat leader) to be particulary conscious.
He originates from the same rock you do :wink:

Well, "Mr Stein" means "MR ROCK" in Norwegian. No kidding! Stein = rock !

Anyway, I think there's no help in generalizing like in this case. I know many local divers who go to Thailand every winter. They've seen some of the better diving as they regularly dive in both Norway and in the Red Sea. And from what I've heard from them, diving in Thailand knocks the Red Sea x10. I believe there will be scoundrels everywhere, so just watch your wallets where ever you go, ok?

KOMPRESSOR:
Well, "Mr Stein" means "MR ROCK" in Norwegian. No kidding! Stein = rock !

Anyway, I think there's no help in generalizing like in this case. I know many local divers who go to Thailand every winter. They've seen some of the better diving as they regularly dive in both Norway and in the Red Sea. And from what I've heard from them, diving in Thailand knocks the Red Sea x10. I believe there will be scoundrels everywhere, so just watch your wallets where ever you go, ok?
And in English, a "stein" is something you fill with beer. No kidding :wink:

Anyway, I don't have a problem with South Siam liveaboards. However not all divers I've seen there are decent (I've also met some who were VERY good). I probably wouldn't use them in high season, as I'd expect there to be a large crowd, but I avoid high season anyway.

The 2 boats they use for Similan live aboard trips are nice newer boats - take a peek:
http://www.southsiamdivers.com/ssd3.php

The 2 boats they use for Similan live aboard trips are nice newer boats

They ARE nice boats. If they just kept the numbers down, I think they could put the price up a bit. The boats put some of the older ones (even ones run by big dive shops) to shame. Cabins are very nice, lots of space. If they made one like this for max 18 divers with en suite bathrooms, well, it'd be a darn nice boat!

For what it's worth, I've heard some strong recommendations for these guys:

logo.gif

http://www.scandinavian-divers.com/

viking-specs.jpg

"Viking of the Orient"​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom