Most "reliable" regulator first and second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maxpcf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all, hope you're doing well.

I know this is a bit of a loaded question, so I'm not looking for a single definitive answer, but rather your opinion.

I'm arranging a pony rig for a close family member and am wondering which first/second stage you think is the most reliable-read: 1. least likely to fail with good & constant maintenance & 2. least likely to fail without good & constanty maintenance

My pony is rigged with an H2O odyssey eas3 H2Odyssey | Diving Equipment | Air Systems
but it failed on its second dive and they were jerks about fixing it- don't buy it, and I don't want to deal with them again.

Thanks all,
Max

Most are reliable if taken care of, read rinsed properly. Having said that I'll give a shout out to Apeks, I e been diving them for almost 10 years, year round, warm and cold water. Have been super reliable. Very simple regs, easy to service. As I said most are pretty reliable so it's down to features desired i.e sealed/unsealed, piston/diaphragm, adjustment knobs etc but mostly personal preference. You don't need to spend silly amounts to get a good reliable reg, but you can if you want. Getting something that can be serviced locally is important, a big player brand such as Aqualung or ScubaPro if you travel dive a lot. I wouldn't buy anything with propriety hoses.

As for a pony reg. the cheapest will work. If you really want a go-to a reg. and a proven workhorse reg. you cannot go better than a Poseidon.

I think a lot of regulators will work fine for that applicaiton. I have had a Scuba Pro MK-2 on a pony bottle for over 6 years and it has not been opened up, or leaked any bubble or had any problems. I have had an oceanic second stage on it, and it too has been worry free.

At the end of the day, leave the reg on the pony, stick it upside down in a bucket of water and let it soak while you wash your other gear. You should have very little problems.

Edit.. the old Sherwood Bruts are also absolute work horses as well.

Whatever you end up with most people on here would agree that DIN is preferred over Yoke, personally I use a Scubapro MK17 and G250 on my pony.

my pony rigs are the following:

SP MK-2
SP 156 (109 converted to balanced)

The MK-2 is a simple, robust first stage capable of a broad spectrum of environmental condition, Inexpensive, and inexpensive to maintain.

The 109/156 is also about as simple of a regulator, and being an all brass case, its absurdly tough (no plastic to break with the rough handling a pony can go through). Again, inexpensive to obtain, inexpensive to maintain, and tolerates a broad range of conditions.

YMMV

You really do not need a DIN on a pony. It's a nice to have but not really a must have. OBTW, forgot the Brut. A very good all around reg and you can get these dirt cheap.

Back
Top Bottom