Most readable displays for 40+ divers; How to shop online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a hosed AI console, it's hard to beat the Oceanic Pro Plus 3. Oceanic currently has a 20% off with trade in promotion going on. The Veo series and the VT4 may have larger characters than the watch sized Geo2/Aeris Manta, same promotion as above from Oceanic.

I appreciate all the computer reviews, but my question was about shopping strategy. What is the best way to compare screen visibility between different computer models? Should I find a quarry where older divers hang out? I am concenred that LDS's have limited variation and the online shopping sites are not very helpful and illustrating how large and readable the displays are. I was hoping I might learn about a website that has helpful "fair comparison" images (in the same shot) or if there was some quantitative measure that manufacturers use but maybe not.

Should I find a quarry where older divers hang out?

Yup! Meet us at Dutch Springs any weekday at 4 PM. We will all be lined up for the early bird special at the snack stand. Don't be late, they run out of pudding pretty quickly...

:D

I second the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 or 3. I used one for year.

I am running an Atomic Cobalt right now; but, I had some surgery and I have 20/20 vision. Not bad at 66.

I appreciate all the computer reviews, but my question was about shopping strategy. What is the best way to compare screen visibility between different computer models? Should I find a quarry where older divers hang out? I am concenred that LDS's have limited variation and the online shopping sites are not very helpful and illustrating how large and readable the displays are. I was hoping I might learn about a website that has helpful "fair comparison" images (in the same shot) or if there was some quantitative measure that manufacturers use but maybe not.

There isn’t any very good way to compare visibility short of actually looking at a display under the conditions of use. No photo or online representation (by definition high resolution and emissive) is going to be able to accurately convey the size, contrast, resolution, and interaction with ambient light. As a dive computer designer who is both a couple of decades older and has quite a few years in bifocals, this is something I have worked with a lot.

Display size and number size is just part of it- display technology and how the data is presented matters a lot as well. Emissive color displays (Shearwater, Mares Icon, Liquivision, and our own Atomic Cobalt, with more coming all the time) will provide MUCH higher contrast and be far easier to see in moderate to dim ambient light. However emissive displays will tend to get washed out in very bright sunlight, conditions where the older LCD displays become easier to read. If you dive typically in darker waters, deeper, or at night, that makes emissive displays a strong plus. If you dive on shallow, sunlit tropical reefs, maybe not so much.

Display size matters, and often consoles will be larger- though Shearwater, for instance, has a large wrist display. Partly your choice depends on if you want a console or wrist, and if you want air integration. But how the data is organized and things like font and color choice have a big impact on visibility. We’re just making changes now, for instance, that “zoom” portions of the display during diving so a countdown timer gets larger when you need to be watching it. That doesn’t come out in a static picture. If you have any color vision abnormalities- which are very common- you want to make sure the color display has been designed taking into account common color problems.

I would encourage you to check out computers in person, and in various lighting conditions. And SB feedback can be valuable, but understand that most divers have experience with only a few computers or brands.

Ron

Last edited:
cobalt 2 is pretty easy for us to see

The easiest way to compare sans getting them wet would be to look at them at dusk with the lights on/off in the room. IMHO the BW displays are going to be limited to low end computers. Full color displays are they way to go.

50 years old & far-sighted (need readers) and I dive with a Petrel and a Cobalt...

Both excellent computers for the youth impaired. But each computer is not interchangeable. Petrel is a Tech Computer that works well for Rec diving, but, is NOT air integrated... still need an SPG or other air indicating computer. The Cobalt is an awesome Rec computer but is an in-line computer. What they both have going for them is the ease of use...my first computer has an 179 page instruction manual of confusing fine print, my Cobalt I think 20 pages with big bold graphics and I could operate it within 10 minutes of opening the box. Since the Petrel is a Tech computer it took me 20 minutes. :)

At my age I really do not want a computer that does everything under the blue ocean. I want one that I CAN operate to fit my needs...and user intuitive operations is a major need. I do not care about saving a few $100 or two on price. My budget is no longer that I need to eat Top Ramen as an entrée.

~Oldbear~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom