Most optimal deco regulator for 80%/100% O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning to take AN/DP within this year and slowly preparing the gear.

What regulator would you recommend for using with 80%/100% O2? I spoke to few experienced dives including a couple of instructors, and there seems to be no consensus. :)

Some recommend to go with hi performance ones like Apeks DS4 or Zeagle DS-V.

One person told me to keep it simple and go with SP MK2 as it is a flow by piston and has a low flow rate which is good for O2 and it is very simple reg to service.

We dive mostly in fresh water (Great Lakes and St Lawrence) I do not expect to do any decompression dives in temps lower that 40F possibly even not lower than 45F.

If MK2 is what you would recommend what would be a god second stage? I think by default it comes with R295.

Thanks a lot in advance.

P.S. I would prefer to stick to Apeks, SP or Zeagle as those are the makes I currently have.

I found that a swivel was a slight advantage on a deco/stage reg.
Easy to keep the hose nice a close to the tank when tucked under the rubber inner tube rings and comfortable in the mouth when deployed.
I used MK 10's or DST's.
If I was buying today I'd still go with the DST (or one of the good copies).

If you decide on the MK2 I'd use a G250 or an Apeks copy.

I like the MK2 - R295/395 for Deco/Stages

1. Inexpensive (it it were to get bashed around and damaged)
2. Very simple design, and few moving parts
3. Light weight
4. available in DIN
5. the R295/395 can have the hose adjusted from left to right depending on how it's going to be "sligned".
6. if you add a low pressure swivel adaptor you get get the hose to tuck in very nicely just like a turret regulator but for a fraction of the cost.

The Subgear Aruba is a MK2/R295, in Canada it's available only as Yoke, though it can be converted to DIN using the Scubapro Kit. So this would be worth considering too for the same reasons.

Thanks Teller, I would pass on HOG for different reasons...

Do you mind telling me what reasons? I have a set I plan to use for this.

---------- Post added April 8th, 2012 at 08:12 AM ----------

HOG D1 can be used with 100% O2 up to 2400 psi out of the box and they make great cold water regs.

If 2400psi out of the box what does it take to make it 3000psi?

Do you mind telling me what reasons? I have a set I plan to use for this.

---------- Post added April 8th, 2012 at 08:12 AM ----------

If 2400psi out of the box what does it take to make it 3000psi?

Drop the O2 percentage to 80%, now they are good to 300PSI. HOG does not recommend there regs to be used over 2400PSI with 100% O2 no mater what you do to them. I believe this goes along with CGA standards and CGA does not recommend any reg be used over 2400PSI with 100% O2, This is at least how it was explained to me. I know the medical industry keeps O2 pressures below 2400PSI and they deal with oxygen way more than the dive industry does.

a couple of things to consider:

you will be spending a good deal of time on this reg, so get a comfy one

what other regs do you already own? perhaps stay in the same make and model to make field repair and service easier

Actually 3400 at 80%. I use D-1's for all my stages and back gas.

I just checked my HOG repair manual(from DRIS) and it states 3000 at 80%. But this is kind of a moot point as most people use aluminium stage bottles so you are still held to the 3000PSI limit of the bottle. I've heard a few issues with exploding SCUBA tanks with high PPO2 levels, maybe we should nip this in the bud and follow CGA standards before the government feels the need to intervene. I sure don't want the reg/valve crap they are seeing in Europe to be imposed on us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom