Most magnificent underwater topography / geography sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

circusoflife:
thanks for the responses so far.

Janet - how was Raja Ampat? (Is this a dumb question?)

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Cenotes / Cavern diving in Mexico near Cancun.
I've been learning about these more recently...now I'm stoked to go.

I've always thought of avoiding Cancun /Cozumel due to overdevelopment.
Here is a reason to go...

now the trick is just to avoid the large resorts...

Wow, forgot I wrote this months ago!
Raja was good...not fabulous, but good. Because of the weather, we were only able to dive the northern area around Waigeo....check out my trip report on my website....www.divetravelservices.com for details & photos!

I liked Manado, specifically Lembeh Straits, much better. We did 4 days there after we got off the Pelagian. I must admit, though, I'm a "macro nut" and Lembeh blew me away. Raja was supposed to be more wide angle but the vis was very poor at most sites....the sponges & sea fans were fantastic but the "big stuff" just wasn't there and, of course, while we'd have wide angle lenses on our rigs, they'd be finding pygmy seahorses! At least in Lembeh I knew I'd never take my Macromate off!

P.S. I'm off to Exumas this weekend....Caribbean Explorer I to check out their new itinerary...supposedly lots of hammerheads! Guess it'll be wide-angle this trip.

May not be the most challenging of dives but I liked Gozo: lotts of fascinating topography above and under-water. Cathedral Cove - with a swim down a narrow canyon and surfacing in a rock dome with lights filtering in from the cracks: very beautiful. There are also the big walls along the coastline and of course, the Blue Hole.

It may be interesting because the underwater topography is an extention of the very unique landscape above water (something to do with geology and the history of the place). But the impression is that of an ancient and forbidding place.

And the sites are suitable for divers of all levels so there's something for everyone.

I agree with Circus, I have dived Dos Ojos with Hidden Worlds several times by Tulum south of Cancun. Has to be one of if not the most beatiful Cenotes of the Yucatan. Plus the ride out through the jungle on the flat bed truck is a blast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom