Most Important Accessories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the crowd I dive with...

A bottle opener.

(after dive of course)
I bought bony fish canopeners keyrings for every single key set we own. If I'm not inside my house, I have a bottle opener. Hydration is important!

I also recommend putting a few regulator 1st stage o-rings (those ones you most often need) in your wallet. You might not always have all you dive gear and all your backups (training at the pool for instance), but you almost always have your wallet nearby.

Line cutter, DSMB, light, Depends on the type of diving. In our area, you need to tow a flag when Shore diving, DSMB would be considered standard kit by most divers, as would a line cutter and compass.

If you define an accessory as desirable, but non-essential I would say a slate (I don’t own one). Personally, I have a video camera with light mounted on a short handle

In the crowd I dive with...

A bottle opener.

(after dive of course)

Standard issue on the new Aqualung dive knives. We must hang with the same type of divers lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20180118_144525895.jpg
    IMG_20180118_144525895.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Most Important Accessory:

Charge card with large available balance :)

Line cutter, DSMB, light, Depends on the type of diving. In our area, you need to tow a flag when Shore diving, DSMB would be considered standard kit by most divers, as would a line cutter and compass.

If you define an accessory as desirable, but non-essential I would say a slate (I don’t own one). Personally, I have a video camera with light mounted on a short handle
Good point about the flag--I forgot that one. I'd like to forget the flag too, but it is a must in a lot of places, both legally and for safety. I get used to not using it up here, then I get to CT in July.........

Good list so far. I do destination diving in the Caribbean mostly and many places don't allow knives, so shears do that job for me. For the save-a-dive kit, the only thing I've needed was yoke o-rings and schrader valves for the bc inflator hose. I seem to collect regulators, and often I'll bring an extra second stage and have needed one of those once as well.

Good list so far. I do destination diving in the Caribbean mostly and many places don't allow knives, so shears do that job for me. For the save-a-dive kit, the only thing I've needed was yoke o-rings and schrader valves for the bc inflator hose. I seem to collect regulators, and often I'll bring an extra second stage and have needed one of those once as well.

What places have you found that don't allow a diver to have a knife? Granted, I'm fairly new to diving, but I've never heard of such a thing before (hasn't been an issue for me in the Bahamas, Florida, Aruba, or Mexico so far). My knife is attached to my BC shoulder strap and hasn't left that spot since I bought it (with trilobite on waist strap).

What places have you found that don't allow a diver to have a knife? Granted, I'm fairly new to diving, but I've never heard of such a thing before (hasn't been an issue for me in the Bahamas, Florida, Aruba, or Mexico so far). My knife is attached to my BC shoulder strap and hasn't left that spot since I bought it (with trilobite on waist strap).
Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

As is explained in the PADI OW course, the most common use of a dive knife is not to cut something but rather to use it as a multi-purpose tool to pry ,break, etc. In some places they don't want you doing any of that. If you need to cut something, a razor cutter or snips work better.

Back
Top Bottom