Most durable drysuit material for gold dredging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless Vikings have significantly improved in the twenty-odd years since I last owned a Pro HD I wouldn't recommend them if you're looking for puncture resistance. They are very easy to repair though - which is just as well.

For the activity you describe neoprene is the best choice, probably an old-fashioned 8mm uncompressed one. These aren't the most flexible things in the world but they are robust, don't require fancy undergarments for warmth and are usually cheap, even new.

So I called the seller of the Viking Pro Drysuit and he said he bought it new and only dove it it one time for a 25 minute test dive.
He said its at least 10 years old but it has been kept in the original bag and box inside the whole time.
There is also air there so I can do a leak test on it.

Finding out its over 10 years old really deterred me. Should I stay away simply because the age? Or will the storage bag help extend the suits life?

I would use a neoprene suit as it is the easiest to repair in the field, has some insulating properties of its own and if the suit fails it is still buoyant. I would wear coveralls over the suit and coat high abrasion areas with a product like this. Performix Brand Plasti Dip-11603-6 at The Home Depot Just thin it out a little and paint it on repeatedly until you get the thickness that you want.

For very hard-wearing trilam, take a look at SFTech Drysuit

I wore a ScubaForce suit for several years... bought it when a US expensive suit proved to be a POS. It served me well, and I purchased a SANTI to replace it and sold it to a diver in NY who is still getting good service out of it. Personal scale for Trimlan suits, SF comes second to SANTI and the two of them are a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way ahead of the competition in that material.

these guys are out every weekend of year mostly recreational diving, but in some ways that is harder on gear than the guys getting paid. not many people would go out for 8-10hrs on weekend unless they enjoyed it. of the 4 new vikings none are left 2 years latter.most manufactured suits have had one problem or another. only one that has held up so far is tri-lam. if a viking it would have to be the black pro model. but that is thicker material and stiffer. so might make working harder to do.
TRINITY'S 4th annual icing challenge

I've been using Viking suits commercially for several years. One thing that hasn't been mentioned that has always been important to me recreationally is the quick drying ability of this suit (it doesn't retain water like a nylon exterior will). Unless the suit gets flooded, the exterior is mainly dry as soon as you exit the water. You can towel off any excess, roll it and place it in the dive bag immediately. It's easy to store, light weight and the exterior material is tough and under most circumstances requires no further protection. They can be quickly repaired and are compatible with commercial helmets/masks and are adaptable to quick change out of latex neck/and or wrist seals.

Back
Top Bottom