Morrison Springs Dive Report 9-17-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear that my friend.:( Glad to know, that you will be getting new digs soon. Hang in there brother, you have been doing so much good for others through your Ministry, it will come back to you.
51.gif

Very well said Jimi. Best wishes and blessings to you Mike!

Sorry to hear that my friend.:( Glad to know, that you will be getting new digs soon. Hang in there brother, you have been doing so much good for others through your Ministry, it will come back to you.
51.gif

No worries! God has been good. He just dropped in my lap a crazy Dane that wants to dive all the time AND has his own boat AND can go out in the mornings when I'm usually free. I have been able to get in 24 wreck dives in the last month!! WOO_HOO! God is good!

I did this dive last week while down there. I was surprised to see eels in the caves as I don't remember seeing them in other Florida caverns. I was also mortified to see a big ole snake of some sort on a tree trunk underwater (I'll take a bull shark over a snake any time).
Nice place to dive though, absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately one in our group had an incident and was evacuated. It seems as though he developed IPE.

There are eels all over north FL springs :)

The snake you saw underwater, was likely a brown water snake, fairly regular in Florida... worth mentioning as non-venomous as well. I saw one in a cavern once, not your everyday eel!

Can you tell us about the situation that ended in evacuation? Was this at JB?

It was at Morrisons. The man is 64 yrs old and had dived the "O" on Monday, the Avocet on Tues, off on Wed. On Thursday we all went to Morrison. He went with others to the mounth of the cave and then let everyone know he was too tired and was returning to shore. Max depth 37ft. Once at the shore he took off his gear and walk up to the pavillion complaing of shortness of breath and coughing up bloody froth. A really great guy who is a caridiologist was there and got oxygen for him to breath. By the time we finished our dive he was there on the O2 with the cardiologist taking his vitals, he seemed to be alert and was talking to us. He said he could feel fluid rattling in his chest and felt it when he bent forward. EMS had already been called. They took him to Bay Hospital? and then on to Tallahassee I believe on a helicopter. Last I heard on Thursday they thought it was IPE but were going to give him a chamber ride to be sure there were no bubbles. I plan to follow up on him now that I am home. The gentleman is a retired NYC Fireman.

Thanks for the update. The DAN site says IPE's are becoming more common among divers. This is the second one I have heard about in just a few months time. We hope he makes a full recovery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom