Morrison Springs Debacle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yarbrough

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I love diving the springs, and I really love diving Morrison Springs. I try to get out there every chance I get to play. With all of the great work that has been done to the site, it is amazing that entry is still free. Today, Saturday, April 24th I ran into the most aggravating people out there. SEA Divers out of Ozark Alabama. They were taking up the entire pavilion with only two people actually sitting there, and then listening in on other peoples classes, and butting in. I had one old woman come up to me and ask that I not "talk about NAUI if I did not know what I was talking about". I found this entertaining since I was talking to my students about the difference between PADI and NAUI, and I happen to be a NAUI Instructor Trainer and a PADI IDC Staff Instructor. I have no reason to talk negatively of either company, in fact, I was talking about the 7 day IDC that PADI puts on.
Now, if this was all that I saw, I would not really have a complaint, but I also saw them pile trash on the ground that my class picked up, and I saw them tell three little kids that they would not share the covered tables with them in the rain. These little kids only wanted to have a picnic. It was just silliness. All I am saying is we have to be considerate of others while we are out there. This is a small park, it is also a free park, guys.... make room for the other people that come out there... especially the little kids... I just was struck by the rudeness of the old lady that was up there. I kind of find it upsetting, and I know that basically this is just a rant on my part, but geez, and thanks for listening.

Todd Yarbrough

Thats bad people should be more considerate of their fellow divers and children.

People like that give everyone a bad name and will end up making morrison be a pay to enter site since they apparently still require babysitters. Sorry for your bad experience- I would have had to regulate if it was me.

If you can't vent on the internet - where can you vent? I love me some rants!

That's just plain rude on their part. End of sentence.

I would have ignored this woman entirely as if she weren't even there! Sat in "their" pavilion if I had wanted to and send her some serious vibes to let her know not to bother me. (It's a pet peeve I have with non-Floridians coming in like they own the place. Too much like carpetbaggers....)
I have not been to Morrison yet as it is a bit of a drive from the Gainesville area but I want to, even though they all but destroyed it decades ago with dynamite.

Unfortunately I have had that problem there more than once. Usually its from out of towners. They need to realize this place is for all not just them. Glad you persevered.
CaptK.

I love diving the springs, and I really love diving Morrison Springs. I try to get out there every chance I get to play. With all of the great work that has been done to the site, it is amazing that entry is still free. Today, Saturday, April 24th I ran into the most aggravating people out there. SEA Divers out of Ozark Alabama. They were taking up the entire pavilion with only two people actually sitting there, and then listening in on other peoples classes, and butting in. I had one old woman come up to me and ask that I not "talk about NAUI if I did not know what I was talking about". I found this entertaining since I was talking to my students about the difference between PADI and NAUI, and I happen to be a NAUI Instructor Trainer and a PADI IDC Staff Instructor. I have no reason to talk negatively of either company, in fact, I was talking about the 7 day IDC that PADI puts on.
Now, if this was all that I saw, I would not really have a complaint, but I also saw them pile trash on the ground that my class picked up, and I saw them tell three little kids that they would not share the covered tables with them in the rain. These little kids only wanted to have a picnic. It was just silliness. All I am saying is we have to be considerate of others while we are out there. This is a small park, it is also a free park, guys.... make room for the other people that come out there... especially the little kids... I just was struck by the rudeness of the old lady that was up there. I kind of find it upsetting, and I know that basically this is just a rant on my part, but geez, and thanks for listening.

Todd Yarbrough
Sorry for your bad experience Todd. I know these folks, as they are friends of mine and own my LDS. I know George could not be there as he was on the WWII Veteran's flight to DC for the day. It sounds from your post like the guard was Ms. Mary, one of George's partners. I haven't a clue who else was there for the check out dives. Ms. Mary's husband and other partner I imagine? Knowing them like I do I would imagine they were the first people on site in the early A.M. and staked their claim. The early bird gets the worm and all, you remember that from our childhoods. Glad the site has cleared up and so many folks are getting out and enjoying it again. I think a better approach would have been to inquire of them a what's up wid dis! Now you have a bunch of folks stirred up and thinking my senior citizen friends are evil, wicked table hogs?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Bless,
Kenny P.

Sorry for your bad experience Todd. I know these folks, as they are friends of mine and own my LDS. I know George could not be there as he was on the WWII Veteran's flight to DC for the day. It sounds from your post like the guard was Ms. Mary, one of George's partners. I haven't a clue who else was there for the check out dives. Ms. Mary's husband and other partner I imagine? Knowing them like I do I would imagine they were the first people on site in the early A.M. and staked their claim. The early bird gets the worm and all, you remember that from our childhoods. Glad the site has cleared up and so many folks are getting out and enjoying it again. I think a better approach would have been to inquire of them a what's up wid dis! Now you have a bunch of folks stirred up and thinking my senior citizen friends are evil, wicked table hogs?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Bless,
Kenny P.

The butting into my conversation would have pissed me off enough! Someone is trying to teach students and you butt into their class..........thats some nerve!

...... I had one old woman come up to me and ask that I not "talk about NAUI if I did not know what I was talking about". I found this entertaining since I was talking to my students about the difference between PADI and NAUI, and I happen to be a NAUI Instructor Trainer and a PADI IDC Staff Instructor. I have no reason to talk negatively of either company, in fact, I was talking about the 7 day IDC that PADI puts on.

Todd Yarbrough

I would say Todd knows more than that lady. I had him for an instructor last Oct. for a Nitrox class at the Dive Locker. He is far the best instructor I have ever had. I will do more classes with the Dive Locker in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom