Morrison Spring dive report 2/26/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?tae&carf1 for river levels and predictions. the predictions show 7' of water by saturday - keep in mind the predictions change and aren't always correct so keep an eye on the site all week.

i'll be at cypress saturday and if things are looking good towards the end of the week(like 6.5' or lower levels), i may dive morrison sunday.

Corigan wrote:

Yes carry a diveflag, it's state law in florida. We didn't use one this weekend as there were already about 6 in the water from all the classes and people that were out there. It pretty much covered the whole basin.. I have dove up there when it is totally tannic, and have seen boaters coming in and out in that condition.

Thanks for the tip. I knew I needed one for Gulf diving (you won't catch me at the jetties without a dive flag) but I wasn't sure for the springs. I didn't realize Morrison was even large enough to get boats on it.

As for diving up there this weekend. Keep an eye on the river levels. If the water levels get over 7' it is pretty full of tannic. It makes the river look like sweet tea. Do a search on morrison and you will see some posts. From what SuprBugMan was stating he is thinking that morrisons will be flooded out next weekend. That means it will be sweet tea until you hit the cavern.

I talked to some other divers in the area they also told me the same thing. Of course the plan is to penetrate the cavern as it doesn't look like there is much to see around the staging log except for students conducting training.

I am hoping the vis inside the cavern will be at least as good as SeaYoda had sans the floating debris.

SuPrBuGmAn wrote:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?tae&carf1 for river levels and predictions. the predictions show 7' of water by saturday - keep in mind the predictions change and aren't always correct so keep an eye on the site all week.

i'll be at cypress saturday and if things are looking good towards the end of the week(like 6.5' or lower levels), i may dive morrison sunday.

I appreciate the link! I'll keep an eye on them throughout the week. If you decide to dive Morrison on Sunday, please let me know. I am not sure if I will be able to get away from the wife for two dive days in a row but I can sure try.

:)

Biggen:
I am hoping the vis inside the cavern will be at least as good as SeaYoda had sans the floating debris.

So far in my limited experience at Morrisons, I haven't ever seen the cavern not clear.

Matt

i've got ~20 dives at morrison since October when I first dove it - the cavern has always been clear for me. you can find things to look at on the outskirts of the spring run in the shallows and amongst the old cypress trees/stumps.

i've been at morrison with 7 trucks with empty boat trailers in the parking lot - a flag is a necessity - but keep an eye out anyway - not everyone in the area knows what the flag means, nor do they feel the need to learn.

i'll know by thursday or friday whether or not I goto morrison on sunday - I'll shoot you a pm if i go.

i've been at morrison with 7 trucks with empty boat trailers in the parking lot - a flag is a necessity - but keep an eye out anyway - not everyone in the area knows what the flag means, nor do they feel the need to learn.

You are preaching to the choir on this one. This is how I feel when we dive the Jetties at St. Andrews. I think that some (not all) fisherman purposely throw their lines our way. We would much rather dive the wrecks offshore (Black Bart, Bridge Spans, Hovercraft, etc...) but I actually like shore diving when possible.

i'll know by thursday or friday whether or not I goto morrison on sunday - I'll shoot you a pm if i go

Definately let me know!

I'll be sure to let you know. You can check here for progress as well.

Biggen:
...but I actually like shore diving when possible.

You may want to look into this thread too.

Looks like you guys had a good time. I've seen Morrison better and I've seen it worse. Glad it worked out for you guys.

SBM aren't you glad you won't have to paddle this weekend! Long live the Zodiac. I can't wait for the Jetties dives next weekend. See ya'll soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom