Morrison Spring dive report 2/26/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The sun peeked in and out today as we (Corigan, kylepreid, WaterDawg, SeaYoda) met at Vortex to pick our dive site today. We were missing SuPrBuGmAn due to an injury (heal up soon!!!!). We decided to head over to Morrison and, if it was bad, return to Vortex for our dive day. We got our gear together and drove to Morrison to find 30 - 50 people there already at 8:30 AM. Most were in classes of some sort. No boats there today and dive flags abounded. The water looked a better shade than the brown of previous visits so we forged ahead. The temperature was back to normal for spring water and the viz above the log was 10' - 20' depending on who was kicking up junk around you. The flow out of the cavern was not overly strong but there was a lot of junk floating out of the hole (I guess it was clearing from all the flooding). The cavern viz was great as usual, until I started laying on the bottom to get pictures of some eels and catfish. The boils were bubbling on the floor in several places and one of the vents was blowing pretty hard. I checked my computer after a few minutes and noticed that I was diving my deepest dive (94'). I guess the surface is farther up due to flooding. We ascended and regrouped for a second dive that was equally enjoyable. We then went to our favorite local eating establishment, Sally's, to fill our stomachs. WaterDawg departed from there and the rest continued back to Vortex. After turning in my rental tank and chatting with Corigan and kylepreid while their tanks were filling, I left them to continue their dive day and returned home. It was another fine day of diving with fellow SBers. Attached are some pics, LtoR in the group shot ... kylepreid, Corigan, WaterDawg, SeaYoda.

great report im truly envious! i'm glad morrison was dive worthy. i hate it that i had to miss this dive - but ill be back next weekend

seayoda, that was about the best shot of a freshwater eel ive seen yet

still cant wait till i get my oly back in the water

Nice eel shot!
Thanks.
S

Thanks Rick, I guess you'll be seeing those next week?

We'll be at Vortex, where we'll try to get in a dive or two before the students arrive, so yes, we hope to play with some eels too.
S

SuPrBuGmAn:
great report im truly envious! i'm glad morrison was dive worthy. i hate it that i had to miss this dive - but ill be back next weekend

seayoda, that was about the best shot of a freshwater eel ive seen yet

still cant wait till i get my oly back in the water

I notice you are typing with no caps - is that from your recent handiCAP :D.

The focus on the eel is a little off the eyes. It would have been perfect with a little more depth of field. It will be hard to find another eel that will sit still as long as he did.

yep - the typng skills have definately been cut short by the recent "handicap" - im pullin the one handed typin stuff as best i can :)

honestly the eel looks great - i know how skitish they can be and how hard they can be to photgraph - in best circumstances i couldnt expect a better pic :)

Nice pics as always SeaYoda. THanks for the report. I went south again and did 2 cave dives at Ginnie with Simbrooks and H2Andy. Gin clear as always :).

jviehe:
Nice pics as always SeaYoda. THanks for the report. I went south again and did 2 cave dives at Ginnie with Simbrooks and H2Andy. Gin clear as always :).
One day we will get you to come West :D.
Of course I'm one to talk, I'm always staying near the house :D.

Great report. I had a blast and was thankful that morrisons was a much clearer than the last time I dove it. Thanks again for coming on out Waterdawg and Seayoda. After we left you Kyle and I did an afternoon dive at vortex, and did a night dive. The night dive was great. The eels came out and were nibbling on our fingers and letting us pet them. At night they are not skittish at all and cruise the whole basin, pretty cool. Great shot of one of those suckers, they are a bear to get a good shot during the day. I woke up this morning in pouring rain to rip down my campsite. I decided to not even try to go to Destin and just take off towards home. I was glad because once I recieved a phone signal so I could call scubatech, I found out the charter was cancelled today. Looking forward to seeing you all at the jetties trip.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom