Morrison in cavern pic experiment 10/13/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is exactly what I was thinking last night. If someone has not been in Morrison cavern, they don't how large the boulder in the last picture really is. Or, how far it actually is from wall to wall.

I think we should place a diver behind the boulder, he can come out for a flash sequence, and then disappear back behind the rock while we continue to flash for the rest of the exposure. This would be one way to get some perspective in the shot.

Another thought. We need to experiment with a camera position in the back corner of the cavern, with the camera looking back toward the opening. You really get a sense of depth when you go to the back of the cavern, and look back toward the opening. That is the shot that really lets you see the over 30 foot height of this cavern. Now, if there is some light coming through the cavern entrance, I am not sure if that will mess up the focal stuff on your camera?

Now, the problem with that shot is that I am not sure there is a good place to set the camera. A great shot would be from the floor up.....man, that would really give the ultimate size perspective of the cavern. The problem is, you and the camera would be at aroud 90 foot depth. We wouldn't get many shots at that depth...but it sure would be fun to try.

Just a few random thoughts after thinking about the day and some of the logistical things we encountered on this test run.

We probably need a person in the shots to give some perspective on how big that room is. If we light a diver up one time in a darkish area may-be they won't get washed out with other flashes painting the walls????

Any ideas???

I was thinking the same thing about the 90' floor shot. We have to do that one no matter what. If I get my nitrox cert and put a stage bottle there it would help tremendously.

I thought we might work from right to left on lighting the bolder pic and have a diver in that first arch to the right. Once he was "strobed" he could move up the sand hill to the right while the "strobers" kept moving left.

If we go during the flooded winter months and brave the icy tannic water, we will have no problem with light coming from the entry hole. The added benefit is that no divers will be in the cavern to destroy viz. We will need a warm place to thaw out between dives for sure!

Here are my two favorite pics cropped and light streaks cleaned up the best I can:

clean2.jpg

clean1.jpg

I agree with a diver in the photo for perspective. The cavern opening shot above is great though, I want a print... a big one(16x20) :D

The collection box for donations is at the door :rofl3: .

I'll donate the lense! :D

It's hard to tell how big those logs are too. Nothing gives the picture perspective. The original opening shot has my 19 cu. ft. pony at the entrance - that gives perspective but didn't look good aesthetically so I photoshopped it out.

We probably need a person in the shots to give some perspective on how big that room is. If we light a diver up one time in a darkish area may-be they won't get washed out with other flashes painting the walls????

Any ideas???

Neat work...if you want to light up a diver, you have to do it with the right proportion of light....in other words, use a lot.

I have to say I am impressed. If you need three strobes, you can use mine any time you want (except when I am diving)..

I also happen to think you need a dome...something to cover the whole area... oh, and a super model for the diver....

Yoda, get your nitrox, and you can borrow my multigas computer, and then do your stop with 50%...saves a ton on those pesky surface intervals.

So, does that mean you are going to come the next time we give it a try? We could use another experienced photographer along for the ride...more strobes would be great! You in????

Neat work...if you want to light up a diver, you have to do it with the right proportion of light....in other words, use a lot.

I have to say I am impressed. If you need three strobes, you can use mine any time you want (except when I am diving)..

I also happen to think you need a dome...something to cover the whole area... oh, and a super model for the diver....

So, does that mean you are going to come the next time we give it a try? We could use another experienced photographer along for the ride...more strobes would be great! You in????

Just tell me when.. will sure try.

Would be nice if you could remove all that nasty surface water...

You may need more strobes... but I would say you are learning this skill really quickly.

Back
Top Bottom