Morrison Dive Report 6/10/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Well, I went to Morrison yesterday. Got all geared up, and was going to hit the cavern with my friend while his daughter did her open water work for class. His wife did a basin dive with MDB, while we went into the dark. The flow was really pumping and I had to work to get into the entrance. Inside the cavern I turned on my light on my strobe arm, and turned on the camera to start taking pictures....... um, no memory card, DOH!

Well we continued the dive anyhow. This was my friends first visit into this cavern. We made the rounds, and I was amazed at how open the entrances to the old cave seemed to be. The water was pushing very hard through the two openings today, making it difficult to even get close to the deepest point in there.

At our thirds we turned the dive, and made our way out of the main cavern. We did our safety stop at the smaller cavern, and again I was surprised. I must not have been observing things as much before. I noticed that there are rooms off from the smaller cavern, deep and inviting, inviting you to get stuck. They look like you couldn enter them, but then would get wedged trying to back out.

From here we continued to the upper rim, and made our way along the now VERY shallow edge of the spring. We saw some giant bass, and some medium pike. Plenty of sunfish, and the most sucker fish I have ever seen there. Also there was a rather large gathering of striped bass.

After the dive, I decided to work on my freediving skills. I was able to make it down to the log several times, then I was able to rest on the log for a moment, then push off. Finally I made two trips under the log. The secret was the weight belt I was cheating with. It was heavy enough that I was able to make my decents without kicking, but not so heavy that I had to fight to get to the surface.

After that I joined my friend for a few hotdogs. MDB and I searched out the road/trail to the boat launch that will take the place of Morrison soon I hope. It is long and rough, and there is no parking. Yet we saw several survey stakes that indicate that that is about to change.

It was a good day, everyone had fun. I hope today brings more of the same.

Finally a decent report, sounds like you guys had fun.

I personally think the smaller cavern is much more dangerous than the larger cavern. The smaller cavern does have offshoots that could potentially get someone in trouble and the bottom can be silted up, easily. Sitill makes for quite a view when looking from the back towards the opening.

It's good news that the flow is strong. If the hydraulic pressure stays up maybe it will clear out some of the silt and trash that has built up. The area around the platform used to be covered with clean white sand.

well, I didn't notice the flow while out of the cavern, but, trying to get into it, and at the bottom it was VERY noticeable. Maybe with all the stirring up the classes and I did, the flow will keep pushing the silt down river.

Those smaller offshoots do go a little ways. I went in one for a little bit, wasnt geared up for anything longer, but I deffintly could have kept going. Might have to bring out some more reels and see where it goes next time.

...and the armadillo? Did you find him, I couldn't spot him last weekend when I looked.

I think he is gone......

but my friend's daughter found a little plastic fish while she was in class. I put it in the bowl of one of the statues.

The gnome bowl? I used to put pennies in that thing to appease the cavern gods, LOL.

I put the gnome down there in late 2005 :p Its already getting broken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom