Morning dive and afternoon SRC snorkel with the kids--Can it be done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C.D.Fish

New
Reaction score
I have been to Cayman before and been both diving and to SRC, but this time I will be coming via cruise--I know, I know, but it is being paid for :). Anyway, my question is, do you think I can do a morning dive and still have time to take the family to the sand bar at SRC before we have to be back on-board?

If so, I am interested in maybe chartering a dive boat (there will be 4 divers) instead of joining the heards from the ship, and would like some advice on who I might contact, and which non-SMB dives I could consider (because that is where I dove last time and I would like to see some of the other excellent diving on GC).

Any advice--or ridicule-- would be appreciated ;-)

Which ship will you be on, and how long will it be in port?
Most ships in Cayman tender, and do not dock, so you need to allow for that time too.

We will be coming in on the RCC Voyager of the Seas. We are due to arrive at 9:30 AM and to leave at 5:30 PM. (this is in the first week of December)

Since I have never been on a cruise before, I have no idea how much time it will take to get ashore and vice versa, so your input would be greatly appreciated on that as well.

Doc:
Sounds like you might have met Casey on your last trip to Cayman. I met her on my trip there too. Sweet lady.
I agree 100%, use www.neptunesdivers.com.
Now, as for the other part of your questions..
I have been on 14 cruises. My business partner and sister has been on 45 cruises. We are in our industry considered " Master Cruise Counselors." Fancy title, eh?

#1 Your ship will tender. This means you will drop anchor, and have to take tender boats to shore and back.
The Voyager is a big ship taking over 2000 people. The tenders will be very full.
You will need to try to get off on the first tender to get in for morning dives.
Casey is very flexable and will do all she can to work the times out for you.
I doubt you will be able to get to a dive site before 10:30.
So, roughly figure on getting a two tank dive in, and back to shore could put you up to 2:30 even 3:00.
The last tender will probably leave shore @ 4:30.
Casey knows the ships, and will able to help you with this part of it too.
Have fun!

Thanks a ton for the help!

Since I have already bothered you about one stop, do you have advice for me at my other stops?

Belize City arrival 8:00 AM departure 6:00 PM
Costa Maya arrival 7:00 AM departure 6:00 PM
Cozumel arrival 7:00 AM departure 5:00 PM

I probably won't be able to dive at each port unfortunately, but I would love to know which ones you would suggest, and who I might want to contact about chartering in these other locations.

Thanks again,

--C.D.Fish

Hi C.D. Fish:
Looking over the three ports you have left, I would say, be with your family in Belize (Maybe the cave tubing trip) RC offers it in the shore excertion book, and hang with them in Costa Maya.
Be sure to dive in Cozumel.
There are several good dive operators on Coz.
Everyone has their own favorites. Do a "search" at the top of the page, and you can read about all the differences, and see which company is right for you.
The ship will also offer dives, and this will guarentee that you make it back on time. They use big boats usually Aqua World.
I have dove with Aqua World and didn't have a problem with them. However, I prefer Dive Paradise.
Have fun!
(I'll be cruising again in January 04.)

You could probably charter a small boat to do one North Wall dive and then do a second stop for diving or snorkeling at Stingray City. Doing a trip back to

VOTS is a huge ship. It will require tendering to shore. Ships usually anchor off of Georgetown, but occasioanlly pull in off Spotts if the wind has turned Northwest or if there are just too many ships.

Just this week, the Cayman government entered into a contract to expand port facilities and to create new port facilities in West Bay in order to increase capacity. Rumor has it that at least one dock space is included in the plans so that at least one ship would not needed to tender to shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom