Morehead City report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol. It says you are from NC. I figured you would know that water temps are above 70 at least half the year.

I apologise if I hurt your feelings

It's easy to forget how far some places are from the coast.

Newland is almost exactly as far away from Morehead City as Washington DC is to Morehead City. In fact it is almost the same distance from Newland to Cincinnati OH as it is from Newland to Morehead City.

No, I know how big the state is. I have several friends from Avery County. I just made the assumption in 200+ dives that he/she had done some diving on our coast and the question was somewhat backhanded. I assumed wrong, I apologized.

Temp is highly dependent on how close to shore you are and whether you are diving north or south of hatteras. This time of year colder inshore and north of hatteras. In spring you can see a bit difference between the northern coast and down by wilmington as the inshore warms up. Last year inshore off wilmington I saw 65 in third week of April (Hyde) and 71 end of second week in May (Stone).

Temp is highly dependent on how close to shore you are and whether you are diving north or south of hatteras. This time of year colder inshore and north of hatteras. In spring you can see a bit difference between the northern coast and down by wilmington as the inshore warms up. Last year inshore off wilmington I saw 65 in third week of April (Hyde) and 71 end of second week in May (Stone).

Also, the question probably had some origin in my really wanting to get down to the coast to see friends and get some dives in. I was hoping to be able to wear my 3 mil since my 7 mil has unexplainably shrunk over the past several years! And, I don't want to spend the $$ to dive dry. I guess I should just bite the bullet for a new 7 or go dry. That way I can also dive more comfoetably in the lakes here.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a very bubbly 2017.
Chris

Chris, really depends on your cold tolerance. Since this was a thread about Morehead City, I'm assuming that's where you want to go. As Steve mentioned the NC coast varies. When you get to Cape Hatteras and northern OBX the waters are much colder. I typically move to my 3/2 in late May and have dove it into November

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom