Morehead City, NC diving advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rawls, your reference to the Blackbeard book by Lee got me thinking. I just ran into my home office and sure enough there was that book. I read it years ago when I finished high school. Back then I read everything I could get my hands on about the region. So what are the must reads today?

"Hiding on the Bottom" was written by a guy named James Rosemond. Amazon has it for $16 plus shipping.

"Hiding on the Bottom" was written by a guy named James Rosemond. Amazon has it for $16 plus shipping.

I agree I liked the book also.
By the way the Author is "Tortuga James" on this board & is involved with this thread.

Rawls, your reference to the Blackbeard book by Lee got me thinking. I just ran into my home office and sure enough there was that book. I read it years ago when I finished high school. Back then I read everything I could get my hands on about the region. So what are the must reads today?

Zieg....

Go to page 3 on this thread. Lauren mentioned a couple of books that I am in the process of getting.

Mike...I didn't realize that James was touting his own book on page 3:) I grew up in Morehead City so I look forward to getting a copy of it...Thanks...

I had mentioned "The Last Days of Blackbeard the Pirate" by Kevin Duffus. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It is a twist to the story where he alludes that Blackbeard is actually a Bath native...Edward Beard. Some people do not buy into it at all...and I'm not saying it is true because no one will ever know for sure. Regardless, there is still alot of solid information in the book and one interested in Blackbeard can learn alot from it.

I will give one example...It was always thought that Lt Robert Maynard and his 2 ships had come from the Atlantic Ocean and entered via Ocracoke Inlet when he confronted Blackbeard, leading to the Battle of Ocracoke on Nov 22 1718. Come to find out that he arrived via the Pamlico Sound...

Believe his hypothesis or not, regarding Blackbeards identity, Duffus did exhaustive research on this book and there is alot of good information in it. I would strongly recommend it.

Yeah, I thought he was the author. I'm going to pick up the book, also.

Zieg....

Mike...I didn't realize that James was touting his own book on page 3:) I grew up in Morehead City so I look forward to getting a copy of it...Thanks...

:D

I didn't really think I was "touting" it, just poking a little fun at myself and the book.

There is actually a reference to the Lauren in question on page 51.

Thanks for the kind words. The book is not informative or historically accurate, but I have been told it is good fun.

I took it as good humor, James.

I'm hoping to make a 1 week trip to NC this summer and dive each day. What are the odds of one or more days being cancelled due to weather or seas?

I took it as good humor, James.

I'm hoping to make a 1 week trip to NC this summer and dive each day. What are the odds of one or more days being cancelled due to weather or seas?

The odds that one or more days in a week will get blown out are very good, near 100%. We are far enough North that summer cold fronts create a weekly cycle of strong SW winds before the front and then calm nice days after it passes and moves offshore. I have always contended that if you threw a dart at a date on the calendar 3 months out, you would have a 50/50 chance of running.

If you are spending a week, book 5 days and you will most likely dive 3. But then again, you could catch 5 straight days of high pressure and dive 5 or an early named storm could blow up and ruin the whole week. Neither are very likely, but possible.

2 years ago starting in late May, there was an incredible stretch of good weather and the fleet ran 40 straight days.

At any rate, it is worth the trip. And there is plenty of stuff to do if you can't get offshore to dive.

TortugaJames:
I didn't really think I was "touting" it, just poking a little fun at myself and the book.

I know you weren't...Just kidding...but you still got a few sales out of the post:D

I want my copy autographed!!!

2 years ago starting in late May, there was an incredible stretch of good weather and the fleet ran 40 straight days.

Oh...how sweet it was that year...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom