Morehead City, NC diving advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RAD Diver,

So, in other words, you have not actually done the QAR dive yourself?

No I have not.
But I never said it was a bad thing, just that there are plenty of other dives I would rather make. The op asked for advise & that would include our opinions.
I don't live down there so I am not an expert as you presume to be, but I can tell you I have well over 100 dives off the NC coast, from Nags Head to Wilmington, so I do believe that is more than your total dives. So be careful calling that BS.
I am glad you had a good time & dive with the program & have no problem with you or anyone else praising it. That is what makes this forum work.
But don't tell me that I don't know what I'm missing, I looked into the program & made a decision that it wasn't for me.

[/I]RAD-
To answer your artifact question, as part of the program, a Conservator brings sediment collected from the site for a processing demonstration. We typically find lead shot, gold dust, glass bead fragments, etc. but it all goes back to the lab when we're finished.

-Lauren

OK that is what I have been told, so I just misread the post.
Thanks.

Baby Duck:
quit selling it as the greatest thing since sliced bread

Looks like a slice of toast to me:D

I have to agree with Alex and Lauren here. I participated in the Dive Down program in September 2008 as well. I went into the program thinking it would be cool just because of the history behind it and what we would learn but the program far exceeded my expectations. Every penny I spent on this program was WELL worth it. I have been spreading the word to all my dive buddies that they should consider partifipating in the program before the wreck is fully excavated. It is a great opportunity to learn about the history, ecology, and geology of the area and you get to learn from great people who are passionate about what they are sharing with you. As Alex and Lauren said, if you aren't into learning then this program probably isn't for you but if you are, you will thoroughly enjoy it. You won't regret it.

For what it's worth, I participated in the QAR program last year and thought it to be one of the most informative and edcucational experiences I have had in my 20+ years of diving! I am a mega wreck enthusiast and definitely recommend doing the wrecks that NC has to offer but if you can incorporate the QAR into your plans, you will not be disappointed in the program as a whole.

The quality of the education that covered local history, piracy, geology, wreck discovery, artifact preservation was top notch - almost made the actual dive to the QAR seem secondary. Over the two days, I truely felt like I was part of the archeology team - so much so that I am actively seeking opportunities to get involved in u/w archelogy in Massachusetts where I live.

Diving on the site where Blackbeard's ship ran aground was simply awesome. The experience was unique and the opportunity rare - how many divers can say that they've dived on a pirate ship?

if you aren't into learning then this program probably isn't for you but if you are, you will thoroughly enjoy it. You won't regret it.

I think you're getting closer, but still not there. Trying to paint anyone who doesn't agree with your assessment as ignorant, or uninterested in learning, or uninformed isn't helping anything.

How about: If you would enjoy a guided history vacation (ie. a knowledgeable group leader takes you from place to place, tells you about each place, you eat as a group, participate in a lot of planned activities together, etc...) then this is something you would probably enjoy. If a guided history trip would drive you nuts, this might not be the program for you.

I know a guy who leads this kind of tour for civil war enthusiasts. There's nothing wrong with it. The people who sign up for his trips love them. That doesn't mean it's the right kind of trip for everyone who's interested in the civil war. Lots of civil war enthusiasts prefer to plan their own route and go their own way instead.

I understand that you probably haven't personally met the folks who have voiced a different opinion here, but I have been diving with them. The people who you claim are not interested in learning are actually scuba instructors, teachers, and the kind of diver who will put real money down for an exploratory charter to a new and still unnamed wreck for a chance to 'learn' about marine history (or they might pay the same money and end up dropping on a pile of rocks). A couple of them spent way too long hanging around university (not on a 6-year plan, earning advanced degrees), and I've seen each of them go out of their way to help new divers that they just met. They just prefer to do things with a little less hand holding and a few more unknowns.

Different strokes for different folks.

If nothing else, hopefully this kind of thread will help divers decide which group they fall into.

Now I'm arrogant, ignorant, and uninterested in learning :eyebrow:

It's interesting to see the number of first time posters chiming in. I hope everyone decides to stick around.

look, while i'm sure it's very interesting and i'd *love* to do it, it's not because i think it's a 'great dive'. it's a historical dive, and worth the money for the information and experience, but i wouldn't expect a 'great dive'.

nobody has said it isn't a good idea though folks have expressed that they'd prefer other wrecks. i hope the op has a great time, and i think everyone else does, too.

but quit selling it as the greatest thing since sliced bread. personally, the only reason i like the 352 is the life there. i couldn't care less about the historical part after the first time. not everybody likes the historic part in absence of fish or vis or whatever it is they *do* like.

In other words, Marci, you have not actually dove the QAR yourself?

:wink:

Tortuga James:
Didn't you know the greatest thing since sliced bread was the pop up toaster?

Although I still like my bread grilled over an open flame.

:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom