Morehead city currents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to NC for Labor Day weekend diving with Olympus. We just got back from Charleston and the currents was strong for a calm day. The captain mentioned that NC was even worse that time of year. My wife is not a strong swimmer what should we expect? I know it is the Atlantic and changes at any moment,

I'm no good at estimating how many knots the current was on my last trip but if you missed the tow line on your way up you're gonna go for a float. I'll be down there diving with Tortuga next week and can let you know what current conditions are like.

"If" the current is to much for recreational divers, I seriously doubt they will let you jump. We dove last July/August and had little to no current on the wrecks.

Even the sharks were hanging out.

144800080.jpg

As said, if you loose the anchor and do a free accent, you are going to have a long, long wait bobbing on the surface, until everyone is back onboard and the anchor is pulled before they can come and pick you up. Take a 6-8' smb so they will spot you quickly and get a bearing on which way you are heading.

Do yourself a favor and take a highly visible surface marker or and buy a Nautilus. Currents can be bad in NC waters.

Listen to the pre dive instructions. The crew will find you if you drift. Just make yourself noticeable on the surface.

Reggie in NC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Olympus is a very safe op if the conditions are too much they will not let you dive. Bring a large SMB they say yellow is the preferred color in NC, also a wreck reel. If you find yourself away from the line but need to surface tie the reel to the wreck ascend to your SS deploy your SMB; by the time your SS is done one of the crew, probably Garvin will be there with a line to help you back to the boat. NC is some of the best diving on the east coast don't be anxious, enjoy!

Forgot to mention one more piece of gear you might want to have, a Jon-line to clip onto the SS line. In rough seas it will allow you to remain relatively at the same depth during your SS and maintain contact with the line(s)
with your hands mostly free.

Last edited:
Inshore there is usually less current then offshore.

Reduce the ammount of swimming. Pull yourself slowly along the line and down the anchor. Same for going up. If there is current down on the wreck it is often possilble to pick a side out of the current. Stay on it. Also swim into the current from the anchor and drift back. If the wreck is intact it is often possible to use superstructure to often be sheltered from the worst of the current. By taking some care you can often reduce the exertion factor. True exhaustion comes from feeling you have to get some place against the current and getting fatigued.

Currents can come and go, sometimes within the same day of diving.

If you are contemplating shooting an SMB from depth, practice several times first.

I dove offshore NC for 10yrs then migrated south and dove SC for 10yrs. The Charleston captain was right. In my experiences diving offshore NC the extremes in current ranged from zero current, to "don't let go of the down line, cause you will not get back to it". Tip, wear gloves to protect from jellyfish stingers stuck all over the line. Another thing you cannot combat is surge. Surge will move you, and everything else, including the critters. Have been caught diving offshore NC in unexpected 6ft swell, driving rain, and chop. In south Florida I was once referred to as "one of them hell divers from North Carolina". Your wife should expect to hang tight to the down line if there is strong current. Be sure to arrive back at the anchor with ample air to do your ascent. Go slow. Enjoy!

So far this weekend different wrecks ha e had different levels of current. However at no time was it advisable to not "walk" the down line. It has been easy enough to go everywhere though that any certified diver should have no real issues.

So far this weekend different wrecks ha e had different levels of current. However at no time was it advisable to not "walk" the down line. It has been easy enough to go everywhere though that any certified diver should have no real issues.

That's what they tell us... "If you follow the line down you will find a wreck if you follow the line up you will find the boat". Works every time!

That's what they tell us... "If you follow the line down you will find a wreck if you follow the line up you will find the boat". Works every time!

I can hear the Olympus guy's voice! "I gar-uhn-tee you will find a wreck at the other end of that line!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom