More UK deaths - whats happening

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think with the growing popularity of the sport you are going to have a more and more every year. Too many people not taking it seriously enough. Learn to dive on a whim or on holiday and then think they can do it anywhere...unfortunately with disasterous results.

mossym:
i think with the growing popularity of the sport you are going to have a more and more every year. Too many people not taking it seriously enough. Learn to dive on a whim or on holiday and then think they can do it anywhere...unfortunately with disasterous results.

I can't disagree with this, but its not that simple, More and more divers who have "higher level training" are losing their lives!, Tech traning, RB's, it doesn't seem to matter anymore........................................

Until ALL the standards go up the stiuation will get worse, my biggest fear is that by that time the politicians will stick their ore in :11:

Then god help us :11:

We've never lost one from Scubaboard thus far, have we?

with increased number of divers overall comes inrcreased numbers doing higher training..maybe some who aren't ready, it'd be interesting to see the breakdown on skill level and number of dives in the victims

ScubaTexan:

You have to be pretty committed to hang around a board, But there are a lot of very experianced divers getting hurt, or killed who are just as committed.

Its senseless....................

ScubaTexan:

I cant quote for sure but I believe we may have. I seem to remember seeing a post where that happened. May have been a very close friend of a member but...... a loss is a loss. All I know is that strangely they all seem to hit me in some way although I never met them, we seem to share the loss because they anjoyed what we enjoy.

God speed them.

The total this year according to padi is 20 However the figure of 37 has been mentioned over here.

The two lost at Scapa were experienced divers on a shallow scapa site.

Its heart - breaking.....................

mossym:

Not sure i go along with the popularity thing - figures last year hinted at a levelling out or even decline in the number of dives performed.
This years weather has been one of the worst for a very long time resulting in even the hard core of regular divers managing less dives then usual.

The last sentence is true though. The coroner for one of the south coast counties released a warning about warm water holiday trained divers getting into difficulty trying to dive in britain.

FWIW i think i made the total deaths this year around the 23 mark but willing to be corrected. Incidentally these latest 2 will not be counted in the 2004 figures as it goes from October > October so technically these were the first of the 2005 incidents.

We have some of the most difficult diving conditions in the world (not THE most) and we have very little fish life. This leads to wreck and cave diving. Cave divings all about the penetration but the further you go in the further you have to come out. Wreck diving, though not as much penetration, is just as dangerous if not more dangerous as the better wrecks are deeper (or so I'm told) and there are alot of entaglement risks, risks of getting hoses cut, bladder puntured etc... So I think it can only be expected really. In the areas that there are fish you push to see them for longer and longer as you know that seeing fish life (alot) in England is very rare, risking your air running out but are to absorbed in watching the fish to notice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom