Month on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lahaina Divers: Pros: Close to Kaanapali, departs out of Lahaina, later check-in time, big 46' Newton boats, less sea sickness, excellent whale watching on the way to Molokini and Lanai, geared toward the beginning diver, good service, discounts for booking multiple charters, excellent rental gear, groupings of 6-8 divers, snacks between dives, scheduled locations so you can plan where you're diving
Cons: Up to 24 divers on the boat, long boat rides to Molokini and Lanai, allow little independence of divers, boat is filled with Discover Scuba for afternoon charters, provide AL72 tanks

Just a question because what you're saying about Lahaina divers is what I was worried about when doing research on them, and I'm very glad I found your post before booking with them. When you dove with them, would they let you finish your tank during dives or would they keep you herded together and make your dive group go up all at the same time? We're staying in Kaanapali, but it is encouraging that the trek down to Kihei is feasible.

Because of the number of dives we have, we're always the first group off the boat with Lahaina Divers, thus wind up being the last divers back on-board as we're excellent on air. For the most part, our experience has been that they'll let you dive your tank, however, you're required to stay under the boat to do so once the "tour" is done.

The tour is the biggest reason I don't go out much with them anymore. They have a set route and timing they follow to make sure that they're back under the boat in about 25 minutes. I understand it is because they have a lot of beginning divers who suck their tanks, but it isn't my style of diving, which is why I dive with an operator who better matches my style of diving.

Hawaii is a very different place to dive. IMO a great dive guide makes all the difference in the world in your experience and in what you see. The topography in Hawaii is lava, rocks, and hard coral for the most part, and there are some amazing endemic creatures that you cannot see anywhere else in the world....IF you take your time and know what you're looking for. Hawaii is also a place where going slow is paramount to seeing the creatures that are hiding out on the walls and in the reefs.

I'll never forget one day when I requested to dive at my favorite Maui dive site (Red Hill) and while the boat was heading there, hearing a diver remark that he might sit out the dive since it is the worst site he's ever been to. When I asked why, he said there's nothing but sand and rocks, and except for the turtles at the start of the dive, the place was dead. I asked who he had been diving with, and it wasn't the operator we were on. Since he was in my dive group, I encouraged him to dive with us and told him that a really great DM made all the difference in the world, and that I thought he would have a far different experience that day.

He agreed to go (mostly because he didn't really want to sit on the boat) and when we returned to the boat a little over an hour later, he couldn't shut up about what an amazing dive that was, all the critters we saw, and how glad he was to have gone. He left a big tip for the crew saying he completely understood how they made all the difference in the world in his experience.

IMO Hawaii diving requires a great guide, and although I'm an excellent critter spotter after so many dives on Maui (nearly 200), it's so much better to dive with an ever better critter spotter than myself. :)

Exact same here, I dove with Mike Severns to Molokini, and Extended Horizons to do Cathedrals. Two must dive trips.

I only stayed 9 days, didn't do enough shore dives !!! Shore dives / snorkel / freedive from the myriad of beaches is *awesome*.

Make sure you find the "hidden" beaches, there's one just North of Little Beach, that you do by dirt road.

If you do the "road to Hana", once past Hana, some 10+ miles, going to the Gulch, there's at least 3 excellent beaches. I'd stay overnight one or two days in the Hana region, to properly explore that pristine region.

The North - West tip is not visited very often, has many quiet beaches.

I hired Halemano as a guide / photographer, he's not the only one (guide), others have been with Shaka Doug too. Anyways, have fun.

Sounds like fun! Who did you dive with last trip? Who are you planning to dive with this trip?

We went for a week last fall. I was happy with Mike Severns (out of Kihei) and Extended Horizons (in Lahaina). I think I'll try Lahaina Divers next trip, too.

When I was in Maui last november, I did 2 different boat dives with Lahaina divers. The back wall of Molikini and the cathedrals in Lani. I also used another shop for another boat dive. I would pick Lahina divers again over the other, there crew was much more friendly, Boat was Muuuch nicer and faster. We were allowed to use up our air, Im very good at not sucking air. The other boat was good, just not as good as Lahina. I will use them in a few weeks for a trip to Molaki.

Wow a month in Maui..... Been there twice for a week at a time. I vote for Extended Horizons, had a real good time with them, like the boat and crew and we did the cathedrals and shark fin rock. Didn't have time to do any shore diving through ;(

Got the 30th anniversary coming up and I am hoping we can head back! Have fun while you are there!! What condo are you staying at? We really liked the Mahana in Kaapanali.

Jeff

Hello All,

I just wanted to provide an update on my Maui diving.

I did 6 total dives while I was out there. 1 day shore dive (Black Rock), 1 night shore dive (Black Rock), and 4 boat dives with Lahaina Divers (Lana’i).

It was an amazing experience. I swam with sea turtles on my first dive (day shore dive, Black Rock).

I dove Lana’i (Cathedrals 1 & 2, Menpachi, & light house) on my next four dives. This is where I was at the mouth of a cave at 60 feet and a big white tip reef shark swam out and scared the crap out of me. :)

My last dive was a night shore dive at Black Rock. A big sea lion came up to us (4 of us) and hung around very curious, playing and eating our bubbles during our dive. It was truly an amazing experience to say the least.

The people at Lahaina Divers were very cool, and professional. The 40 something foot boat was a smooth ride and the Capitan also stopped for the Whales to watch a bit. The dive masters would change our your gear for you if you wanted. I did my own rigging though, I’m like that. The only thing that was a bummer is they had dive restrictions on the Molokini back wall (25 logged dives). I even had Dive Instructors say they would vouch for me but, no go. Tanks were AL72’s and they charge extra for larger. My EDT was around 40 min and max depth was 63’ for my dives with the 72’s.

The day/night dives at Black Rock you have to book via the Sheraton. On both occasions I walked over and booked them the same day. They normally give you AL 63’s but you can ask for 72’s or even 80’s at no extra charge, which I did! Just say you’re an air hog. The max depth at Black Rock is 35’.

Aloha, If you want to do scooters dive let me know. We scooter diver every weekend and have two extra scooters. Don't do it for a business but $50 that goes towards the battery fund is good.

Sounds like a great group of dives. It is likely, however, that you were blessed with a close encounter with a RARE Hawaiian Monk Seal, not a Sea Lion. Fantastic experience...I'm jealous. :)

Woke up this morning and getting on the packing. Leaving for my month on Maui this Wednesday and my daughters and I are very excited! Time to get ready for slowing down and a laid back pace, that is life on Maui!

Dear cshannon & all,
Thank you for your report and suggestions. We are still trying to figure out what to do. We will be staying in Kahana and have been looking at Lahaina Divers, Extended Horizons, Sea & Dive (out of Kihei) and Shaka Doug. We will go to Kihei one day for sure and shore dive with Shaka Doug. I have been leaning towards Lahaina because they seem to go to all the spots (Molokini Crater, Molokini backwall, Lana'i, Hammerhead). I have been looking at their 5 star package which includes five dives of our choice and I was thinking the crater, the backwall, Hammerhead and two to Lana'i - does anyone have any opinions on these spots??? Another thought, to try different dive places, we could use Extended Horizons for Lana'i, Dive & Sea for the Molokini dives (but this will be having us drive to Kihei three different days, not a huge deal but...) and go with Lahaina Divers for the Hammerhead dive and maybe something else. We were going to try and do some land stuff (like the Road to Hana or Haleakala) but I just don't think there will be enough time for all the diving and the land stuff. We will be in Maui for a week (arriving on Tuesday and leaving on Tuesday). As far as our experience level, we will have been certified for two and a half years (when we get to Maui in November 2013) and have been on 30 logged dives. We are OW certified and dive on our vacations (since we live in Michigan). We have dived to 115 ft. (of course for not super long) and when we went shore diving in Curacao last, we were down for 60 plus minutes each dive and I came up with over 500 psi left on my tank and my husband had about 250 psi (he is more of air hog :) ). We have also dived in Cozumel which was drift diving. Hopefully that will give everyone a bit of our background for recommendations.

When we leave on Tuesday we will be flying over to the Big Island for three days (Kona) and will do the Manta Ray night dive and then the next day a day dive (I have the manta ray dive booked with Kona Diving Company) but I have not decided on who to book our day dive with - either Big Island Divers or Kona Honu Divers, they both are working on Thanksgiving. Any suggestions on which dive company I should use in Kona??? Should I use the same company for the day dive and the manta ray night dive (instead of two different companies) - I don't think I will get any type of discount for two days of diving, I think the discounts start at three days of diving and we can't do three days because we are leaving at night on the third day? Kona Diving Company is not open on Thanksgiving so I can't book both days with them.

It does seem that all the diving is in the AM so this should leave the afternoon for us to do some beach/land excursions (but of course not Haleakala due to the elevation). I am looking forward to suggestion/recommendations.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom