Monterey tomorrow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dunno who dropped the anchor on you, but they should have dropped well clear of your bubbles.

And they need a different anchor. Those "river anchors" don't hold worth a damn on sand which is
where you should be anchoring in Monterey if possible (and it usually is). My boat came with one,
I got tired of following the anchor tracks in the sand.

its a shame that they nailed the metridians too. I didnt know you could throw an anchor there.

Hi guys! Great day of diving. I have posted my pictures and very short report here.

Looking forward to diving with all of you again.

-Robin

Thanks for all the drysuit help today guys! Hopefully, I'll get to experience a dry drysuit dive next time. It was still a good dive though...I got to see Dironas and an Aeolid for the first time. :D

Kenn, I forgot to get that neck seal from you. Can you send me info on where you got it?

Here are my pics. Monterey 8-3-08 - a set on Flickr

I'm looking forward to diving with you all again soon!!

That was a great day of diving, thanks all, and it was nice to meet everyone. Robin and Devin - how was the second dive? Did the viz clear up a bit?

I've got a short video of Dive 1 up at YouTube - Metridium Fields Dive

Michelle - too bad about that neck seal leak! Guess the silver lining is that you still have a first "dry" dive coming up :) The neoprene collar I have is from Diving Concepts, I got it at AWS. I think it's similar to a bioseal, but is something like 10mm thick, so it should make a big difference if the seal is just way too large. If you don't mind the risk of getting it folded/shmooshed in the mail, let me know and I'll be happy to send it - or I can hand it to you next time we're both in Monterey.

2nd dive was great. We navigated there -no problem. Did one loop around the small rocks we were at on dive 1 and came across a reel and line. We looked at our remaining air and decided to kick out on the line. (If there is a line it must lead somewhere right??) So after 3:00 of leisurely swimming we were ready to turn around and suddenly came up to the larger rock set.

We saw a sea lion there as well as lots of nudi's, larger fish than Ive seen at breakwater and more topology. The conditions at the 2nd set were much more clear.

The line was on a ~[-]30[/-][thanks Devin for correcting my memory] 300 degree heading from the small rock patch.(if I was reading my compass correct) then back to the small rock patch via line and 210 back to the pipe.

Thanks to mystery diver who left the breadcrumbs to the larger rock patch.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great dives guys. I was pretty shot...after washing my gear and downloading my dives and a bit of food I was out.

On that second dive the line was more or less parelel to shore at about 300 degrees. It got a bit deeper but the vis seemed to get a bit better too. Max depth out there was 53 feet.

-Devin

Back
Top Bottom