Monterey Diving Buddies/Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hiya,

I will be in Monterey from the 14th of September to the 27th and I am looking for individuals to dive with or recommendations for dive operations. I am visiting Monterey during my R&R from deployment overseas and I have been dreaming about getting my fins wet for the last 8 months. Unfortunately, my schedule only allows for diving during the weekdays. It has been over a year since I last got in the water and I have never dove in the area so I am not looking for difficult dives. If anyone can recommend a dive operation that would be willing to work with me during the week that would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help.

I can't help you with a dive op, but you might PM CALI68. He dives during the week, and he's an extraordinarily nice guy.

If you can hook up with somebody local to dive with, you'll definitely want to get reservations for Point Lobos at least one day. It's a really lovely place to dive.

Monterey Bay Dive Center is pretty good and has chartered dives. Haven't gone out with them during the week, but you can check.

Aquarius is a good shop in Monterey too.

Last but not least, check out Bamboo Reef. Personally one of my favorite shops. Just the nicest guys.

As far as dives are concerned, you can get your feet wet at the Breakwater, but it not the best dive - more for beginners. It's a good easy dive, but can get really busy and murky (mostly on the weekends).
There's also Lovers Point.
I'd recommend more difficult/interesting dives like Butterfly House or Monastery, but it doesn't sound like your up to it just yet.

Duh,.. why didn't I think of Point Lobos,.. that's an obvious one you should definitely hit.

We will be there too,

I am wondering if we can dive wet with a 7 mil and a vest in late November without suffering. (I plan to hit Backscatter, for sure!)

As far as dive shops, big fan of Bamboo Reef, not a fan of Aquarius (one by the Breakwater).

As far as temperatures and wetsuits, some of it depends on what diving you will do. If just shore diving, a 7mm with a 7mm vest + hood would be fine. If doing a boat dive, temps could be colder. Really depends on how much cold you can handle.

Ah,... 7mm is fine.

But what do I know,..

Now I dive dry.

* One note I should add though. Temps don't vary too much here. Also the best time of the year to dive Monterey is coming up. Generally it's from October to March, but September should be good too. Summer months are generally the least favorable times to dive.

I dive 7mm wetsuit, boots, hoods, 0.5 skin suit and haven't had any chills or anything. Otherwise, I'll do what Robert Lee said once, (in Rhlee's voice: thats crap!!!!!!! I don't know anyone who dives wetsuit in monterey!!!!). Once I met him, that changed his position for sure. :rofl3: and also got him real cold, but he is a nice guy. :D And also ecplise785, I can't believe you nearly forgot Pt. Lobos...:shakehead:, how can you forget Pt. Lobos, thats what makes Monterey diving Monterey Diving...although it should be in Carmel because its in Carmel Bay. Anyways for that, you should be thrown to the sharks now!!! :sharkattack:

Anyways, back to the wetsuit, you can see in that avatar and my profile picture that I use a 7mm akona and it has been my workhorse since I got certified but its time to change to a smaller size since I'm getting skinny and more muscles so anyways, have fun! Cheers!

Royston Nguyen

Wow, I envy you guys that can do Monterey in just a 7mm.

My exposure suit for Monterey is 7mm jumpsuit with 7mm hooded vest (3mm vest), 4mm gloves and 7mm booties. I am not cold in 46 degrees, but most others I know who dive wet use a 7mm farmer john/jane two-piece with bibbed hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom