Monterey Dive Boat Recommendations???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Monterey, you have four options.

1. Beach Hopper II
2. Escapade
3. Sanctuary
4. Phil Sammet Charters

I have only been on the Escapade, on trips organized by the dive club to which I belong, and on my own as with other dive buddies. Have always had a dandy time. It's the larger of the boats and has the most room. Depending on the diver qualifications, the Escapade will head into Carmel to the dive the more exotic sites. Phil Sammet has a rigid inflatable boat that is probably the best way of exploring Point Lobs, as its fast/nimble, and Captain Phil's knowledge of the local sites is second to none.

I believe you do have to bring your own tanks on all the local boat charters. Diving off a boat in California is not like other places. You are on your own. If you want to hire a guide/DM, best to contact the local shops or simply post something on the appropriate site. You may want to consider motion sickness medicine as well. The vertical movement of the local swell can induce sea sickness. Do be careful on the way home, as you'll be fairly tired. You should consider a surface marker buoy required equipment on any boat dive.

Have a great time diving in Monterey. Let us know if you have any other questions.

1. Beach Hopper II
2. Escapade
3. Sanctuary
4. Phil Sammet Charters

I have only been on the Escapade, on trips organized by the dive club to which I belong, and on my own as with other dive buddies. Have always had a dandy time. It's the larger of the boats and has the most room. Depending on the diver qualifications, the Escapade will head into Carmel to the dive the more exotic sites. Phil Sammet has a rigid inflatable boat that is probably the best way of exploring Point Lobs, as its fast/nimble, and Captain Phil's knowledge of the local sites is second to none.

I believe you do have to bring your own tanks on all the local boat charters. Diving off a boat in California is not like other places. You are on your own. If you want to hire a guide/DM, best to contact the local shops or simply post something on the appropriate site. You may want to consider motion sickness medicine as well. The vertical movement of the local swell can induce sea sickness. Do be careful on the way home, as you'll be fairly tired. You should consider a surface marker buoy required equipment on any boat dive.

Have a great time diving in Monterey. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Good call about the sea sickness. It's worth mentioning that I have never gotten sea sick until I had a rough boat ride out with Beach Hopper a few weekends ago. Thankfully it calmed down when we anchored, but I starting to wonder if I should carry motion sickness medicine with me as a back up.

1. Beach Hopper II
2. Escapade
3. Sanctuary
4. Phil Sammet Charters

I didn't know Phil Sammet took people out. That would be awesome to dive with him I'm gonna have to check it out. Thank you!

I love Escapade too, they do an amazing job. I didn't mention them though because they seem to usually only do Reef Check divers or groups that reserved the whole boat. But yeah they do a good job. They are the only boat that got me to Ballbuster which will always be my all time favorite dive in Monterey.

Thanks again for the Phil Sammet info! :cheers:

Thank you. We are very familiar with Breakwater, being from Fresno, It's our go to spot. We tried Lover's a while back but it was 0 via so we called it off. Way back in the day, 91, I did my check out dives at Macabe and Coral Street.

My wife has never done a boat dive and I have only done one but that was back in 92. My Dad got us a trip in San Diego and we dove the Ruby E, super cool. So we need advice in that area.

So far on the trip list is:
1 day at Point Lobos, Thanks for the tip about the drop off. That could have been a surprise.
1 day on a boat.
And then a couple days hitting different shore dive spots. Recommendations welcome.

@BikerBecca Thank you for the offer. I may have to take you up on that so I can learn so more spots.

Hello there, I have dove off the Sanctuary and I do like the warm inside lol. Plenty of free snacks refreshments. I want to do the beach hopper2 soon. Personally I think boat diving in monterey is a bit more comfortable and easy than the breakwater and bonus they can decide to take you to different locations to try to find better dive spots. Remember to tip the assistants they deserve it.

Btw are you going this week? lotta rain all week..... check surf conditions as boats might not be out in it.

I didn't know Phil Sammet took people out. That would be awesome to dive with him I'm gonna have to check it out. Thank you!

I love Escapade too, they do an amazing job. I didn't mention them though because they seem to usually only do Reef Check divers or groups that reserved the whole boat. But yeah they do a good job. They are the only boat that got me to Ballbuster which will always be my all time favorite dive in Monterey.

Thanks again for the Phil Sammet info! :cheers:

Hi there, I have a quick question ok 2 actually if you have time, 1 how are dive conditions this weekend? Have you heard estimates for boat dives?, and 2 I did Ballbuster 100 for my AOW deep dive and was wondering what you like about it? We did a rock outcropping dive after that at about 60 feet which had more sealife. But then again viz that day at ballbuster was murky so ...

Hi there, I have a quick question ok 2 actually if you have time, 1 how are dive conditions this weekend? Have you heard estimates for boat dives?, and 2 I did Ballbuster 100 for my AOW deep dive and was wondering what you like about it? We did a rock outcropping dive after that at about 60 feet which had more sealife. But then again viz that day at ballbuster was murky so ...

Hi,
The wave models look good between Breakwater and Coral Street for this weekend. However, it looks brutal for a boat dive and probably down right scary around the point. CDIP Models Ca

Why do I like Ballbuster? The long blue water descent to the top of the pinnacle around 65 feet. The ring of Metridiums at around 85 feet. Bottoming out at about 110 feet before it drops into the Monterey Canyon. Running into larger animals like Mola Mola. Further off shore. I just really enjoy it. Another favorite of mine is the swim through at Cathedral. That's another good boat dive.

Hi,
The wave models look good between Breakwater and Coral Street for this weekend. However, it looks brutal for a boat dive and probably down right scary around the point. CDIP Models Ca

Why do I like Ballbuster? The long blue water descent to the top of the pinnacle around 65 feet. The ring of Metridiums at around 85 feet. Bottoming out at about 110 feet before it drops into the Monterey Canyon. Running into larger animals like Mola Mola. Further off shore. I just really enjoy it. Another favorite of mine is the swim through at Cathedral. That's another good boat dive.

Wow nice, I just hit the bb100 on a very bad viz day and yea ill not be boat diving this weekend lol.

That cathedral swim through is cool. If you ever get down to Cabo San Lucas and dive near lands end there is a connection from sea of cortez to the pacific. Its a long swim through, no overhead and about 8 feet wide. current pulls you back and forth it takes maybe 10 min to get out to pacific side and there are wrecks scattered about mostly torn up but large once you come out the pacific side. That is really super fun. Its about 60 ft deep and when the current pushes you back....hard...you dig your hand in the sand and hold on. Then the current lightly rockets you forward and its a blast, I Loved it! I will edit this with the name of the dive but it only takes a short trip from the LDS to get to all the cabo local sites.

Models
Click on the day and hour, then when the daily screen comes up, click near where you hope to dive. It shows 11.58 feet at Monastery on Saturday at 11:00.

Nobody is gonna be diving Monastery this weekend. I'll be at the Breakwater with students. Monastery is an advanced site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom