Monterey conditions rock!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

60 is good? I am going to be out that way to visit family and do my first cold water dive sometime this winter. (like November)... If it is under 75 - it might as well be 32! My buddy coming with me and I have never dove in less than 78 and we are pretty freaked out about it.. Call me a wuss,, but that is damn cold! My cousin dives there in Monterey and Point Lobos area alot. I have always refused, but I am itchin for an adventure and to see something new so I will give it a shot. We have been doing 4 shore dives a weekend here in only 20 feet for 100 minutes each. The water has been in the mid 80's and very comfortable with a 3 mil shorty.
(I am sure that got a laugh.. :) Yes.. I use a shorty in August. I am ashamed to admit it, but always comfortable.. Besides 2 - 100 minute dives in mid 80s can get you kinda chilly believe it or not.

Needless to say, Monterey will be a shock to the system but we are looking forward to it! But before you call me a sissy, try breathing down here in August.. We are only a couple humidity % points away from needing a tank and regulator to ride a bike...

:wacko:

Jonnyreb,

Just make sure on your first dive that you are with someone (cousin?) who does a lot of cold water diving. I've heard stories of warm water instructors with hundreds of dives panic on their first cold water dive.

If you can try the requisite 7mm two piece wet suits in the pool first, with the hood and gloves, that would be even better!

I dove pt. lobos on Saturday. Vis on 1st dive, starting
a bit outside bird poop rock, was about 50 feet; Whalers
Cove was more like 25 feet, with a bit of sand stirred up
by somebody for a lower vis layer on the bottom.

2nd dive was out to Outer Bluefish Pinnacle, where the
measured vis exceeded 70 feet! Temperature was in
the 50F range.

Someone a week ago got tangled in kelp at the
beginning of a Pt. Lobos dive, panicked, nearly drowned,
died mid-week of multiple organ failure. Get a real
orientation to cold water and kelp before diving here.
It's really not that big of a deal, but a little education ahead
is prudent. There have been at least 3 kelp related deaths
around Monterey this summer, and 4 other deaths in the
last few months.

Gary

Here in Monterey, when we have 55, We hi 5 each other and start calling our dive buddies to spread the GREAT news about warmer water! If we 25+ vis, we consider it great. And if the vis is 30+ ft, we are in heaven!

Cold water diving require more physical fitness, to counter thick wet suit and over 20lb lead weights. A new set of knowledge is also NEEDED to dive COLD water and the famous Monterey Kelp forest. If you would allow my humble suggestion, it would be a great idea you go to a dive shop and talk to local instructor before you jump into the kelp forest. Check out the link below for a dive shop near Breakwater in Monterey.

http://www.mbdc.to/

Good luck and enjoy your dive at monterey. Dive safe.

Jonnyreb once bubbled...
60 is good? I am going to be out that way to visit family and do my first cold water dive sometime this winter. (like November)... If it is under 75 - it might as well be 32! My buddy coming with me and I have never dove in less than 78 and we are pretty freaked out about it.. Call me a wuss,, but that is damn cold! My cousin dives there in Monterey and Point Lobos area alot. I have always refused, but I am itchin for an adventure and to see something new so I will give it a shot. We have been doing 4 shore dives a weekend here in only 20 feet for 100 minutes each. The water has been in the mid 80's and very comfortable with a 3 mil shorty.
(I am sure that got a laugh.. :) Yes.. I use a shorty in August. I am ashamed to admit it, but always comfortable.. Besides 2 - 100 minute dives in mid 80s can get you kinda chilly believe it or not.

Needless to say, Monterey will be a shock to the system but we are looking forward to it! But before you call me a sissy, try breathing down here in August.. We are only a couple humidity % points away from needing a tank and regulator to ride a bike...

:wacko:
:)

Thanks for the advice. My cousin Elena warned me already and is sending me a book about cold water diving.. (as if I read..) :confused:

She came down here with her husband and dive buddy Lucas for a dive several months ago and got spoiled for a couple dives. She seems to think she is a much more skilled diver than I am from experience diving out west.. (she is right...) It does not take much skill to blow bubbles in bath water, with no raging surges, kelp to get tangled up in or giant pummeling waves... Not to say that we can be complacent about safety, but it is just much less complicated here.

My buddies here who have never seen the Pacific do not understand the power. I try to describe it, but it does not sink in until you see it. (Especially the ones who think that it is possible to surf in the Atlantic!...) It always brings a smile when I see people trying.

KAWABUNGA =-)

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Nah, job situation wasn't resolved - gotta go back.

that blows.. whats your last day here in the states?

ps, going to be in monterey on the cypress sea this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom