Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove Pt. Lobos Middle reef today. Very nice surface conditions and warm. 57 F on the surface and 54 F thermocline at 60'. Viz near the beginning of Middle Reef was 10'. When we got to the outer end at 60'+ the viz opened to a clear 40+ with lots of Blue Rockfish.

2 dives at north monastery. cloudy overhead and cool. water was mid 50s. viz was bad in parts over the shallow reef, but opened up to 40'+ once you got deep. saw a couple jellies and some egg sacs (not sure what) in addition to the usual.

Yesterday (8/2) did a kayak dive at Eric's Pinnacle (between otter cove and coral street).
Forecast was for sunny and warm with calm seas. I arrived at 1pm and it was fogged in and a big swell was rolling through :(
There was a bit of surface kelp right on the numbers but wasn't confident it would hold the yak so tied off about 70ft nearer to shore on a bigger patch. Vis was a murky 12ft but had a nice dive regardless. Nice encounter with a juvi wolf eel and had a bat ray cruise slowly past. The pinnacle itself is very nice with steep sided rock that is well encrusted with life and color. This was my first time at this site and I look forward to returning when the visibility and topside conditions are better.

North Monastery today had 20-30ft+ vis. Best vis was out by canyon. Water has cooled off a bit to 55.

I took a tour out at Lover's #3 Wednesday and had over 30' of visibility...maybe even 40'. We went on to Coral Street Beach for dive #2 and it wasn't quite as good. But that could be because we turned too early. It was just starting to get nice at about 45 fsw when my client told me he was cold and wanted to go back.

Dove North Monastery yesterday. No surge to speak of viz was easily 30+ ft. Dove lovers that night. Conditions had deteriorated. Viz was maybe 20ft. Breakwater was kind of crappy with 10 to 15ft.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 dive south monastery. Viz good past 50 ft (30 to 40ft+), but only about 15 to 20 in the shallow reef area. Saw quite a few jellyfish floating around. Also seems to be some metridia coming in on the side of the rocks near the sand at about 60 ft. Water temp was 54F. Someone topside said they saw dolphins closer towards the carmel river state beach. Didn't get a 2nd in as buddy wasn't feeling good.

Dove Hopkins Deep and Aquarium Reef on the Beachhopper today. Hopkins saw a viz of 35+ At 75-80 fsw. Good amount of life. Wolf eel's, Lings, tons of juvenile rock fish, metridium, etc.
Aquarium Reef saw about 25 ft viz, with a mola sighting. The thing was huge... Great to see!
Over cast skies, some west swell, air temp in the low 60s. Surface water temp around 62ish. Bottom temp around 54. Thermocline around 30ft?

10-20' of vis at Breakwater today - 10' in the shallows of the kelp bed, 15' a little deeper (say around 25fsw), 20' towards the end of the jetty. Temp mid 50s. Very flat day, and gorgeous topside once the morning overcast burned off.

Aborted North Monastery due to crap vis. Swam out, dropped and spent 12 minutes. About 8 ft vis and surgey. Scotty from Aquarius was going out to canyon but I'd be interested to know what he got for vis. I doubt too much better. Went to Breakwater and had 10-15 along wall and about 10 in kelp. A bunch of shrimp out along wall and in kelp had a Cormorant dive bombing us for 20 minutes or more. Cool dives. Concourse De Elegance cruised past us at Monastery. Man there were some seriously nice rides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom