Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today was a nice day to be at Lobos---sunny, calm & warmish seas, 30' to 40' viz in deeper water.

I did one dive: we were vaguely heading for Lone Metridium, but cut shallower and overshot it. Saw lots of fish, including a few big male sheephead and a couple of big lings chasing each other. Backtracking we did get to Lone Metridium, but it was closed up, and reached the back side of Hole in the Wall. At this point I was getting low so surfaced near the boat channel while my buddies continued with a brief swim along Middle Reef and some GUE exercises in the sand channel while I surface swam past their marker buoy.

73' max depth, 62 minutes, 56F.

I would have made a second dive but, in spite of 4 new patches, my Viking is still leaking. An inspection at home revealed 4 or 5 more sites that need patching---several definite leaks and others strong maybe's. One is along one of the taped seems, though, so I'm starting to think this suit is history. :depressed:

T
I would have made a second dive but, in spite of 4 new patches, my Viking is still leaking. An inspection at home revealed 4 or 5 more sites that need patching---several definite leaks and others strong maybe's. One is along one of the taped seems, though, so I'm starting to think this suit is history. :depressed:

Jeez, wrestle a porcupine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, I think I got a lemon. I had a guy look at it and he said the rubber seemed thinner than normal & looked a lot older than it is. He did what he could & it has been dry for several months, but is sprouting leaks faster than I can patch them. The seam leak may be fatal---I don't think I can patch that.

Dove Ballbuster Deep off the "Double Down" on Saturday and Sunday for first dives of each day. Surface conditions were nearly perfect, flat and glassy when fog was overhead, light breeze once the fog burned off. Vis was poor from 0-30 feet but opened up the deeper you went. On the bottom at 140' vis was 25 foot but with some particulate. We anchored in 120 feet of water on top of some very large car sized boulders and ran a reel line to down to 140 feet. Very large schools of 1-2 inch juvenile rock fish (guessing that they were rock fish) that would dart out of our light beams only to go right back to their previous location once the light moved on. Interesting site that seemed to be a nursery for young fish. There were very few large fish especially ling cod. They were all relatively small. Not sure if this is from fishing or time of year but stands in contrast to the much larger marine life at Pt. Lobos. Water temperature was 54 on the bottom and 59 at 20'.

We did a second dive each day off the Aquarium and Lovers Cove, conditions were ok with vis in the 15 foot range but no surge and temp of 56 on the bottom and 60 at 20 feet. Still doing training dives and no still camera yet.

Did North Monastery on sunday 7/20. Very nice day and easy entry. Vis was quite variable throughout the dive, best spots were about 35ft and worst was about 15ft. Lot's of fish, schools of rockfish, blacks, blues. lot's of individual lingcod cruising about and tucked in crevises, saw a few big vermillions as well. couple really nice egg-yolk jellies fully intact with amazingly long trailing tentacles? (what do you call those?) Fun dive and great day topside.

Did North Monastery today and had similar conditions as KRL1973. Some nice egg yolks were out. Somebody reported spotting an Angel Shark over the weekend so I was keeping an eye out. That is the second sighting in a month. Temp was 60.

We did two dives at Lobos today. Vis was decent with 30ft degrading as entering the cove. Headed to Granite Point Wall, then took a turn out into the sand to look for squid, or at least their eggs and didn't find anything in the 75-80ft range. Second dive we headed out past Hole In the Wall. Somewhere past Lone Metridium, zipping around the topography, while staring down at the compass navigating onward and outward, I saw white strings pass in front of my mask, and 3 seconds later felt the sting. Ouch! We continued on to the end of Beto's where there were squid eggs in bunches around, but no squid to be found. We did see a squid boat headed out of Moss Landing on the way home though.

Water temperature per my gauge read 57* outside the cove, and 60* inside. Topside was beautiful with around 70*.

Dove south monastery last night 7-23. I had forgotten how dark that beach is at night :).
25-30 vis. We stayed very shallow in by the wall so I could play around with a housing. It was a little surgy but probable would have been fine deeper. Surface and beach were super flat.
https://en.divelogs.de/dive/930849

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom