Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice but surgy dive to Hole in the Wall and Lone Metridium (Point Lobos) today. 30'-ish horizontal viz. I could see the surface clearly at 40', but observations at 55' were mixed---once the surface was obscured, once crystal clear. Water temp was about 53F.

I swam right by Lone Metridium---my buddy was taking pictures of it and I thought it was a limpet, it was so scrunched up. I was approaching the next rock face & realizing I'd likely missed it when she caught up to me and dragged me back to see what was what.

There was quite a swell coming into Whalers, and a lot of wind chop, when we entered & it was surgy the whole dive, even at 60+ feet. One big set came in while we were kicking back that required some serious Bull Kelp clingage. But, all-in-all it was a fun dive.

Hoping to dive the breakwater tonight & would appreciate conditions reports.

Thanks & Happy New Year.

Any word on Lobos today and expectations for next few days?
Mubin did Breakwater yesterday and had 20 ft vis and blue water. Web cams look like BW is fairly calm.

That's how it usually works. The day you can't dive is going to be great. Thanks for the update.

Boat dives in the bay yesterday at Hopkins and a site near ball buster were good. The real treat was actually from the surface down to about 30ft where it was clear and blue with a lot of jellies, but not in a too much you couldn't swim thru. Lots of open space where you could take photos and video of such beautiful scenery. I'll post photos tonight or tomorrow.

Already here

---------- Post added January 1st, 2014 at 08:29 AM ----------

New Year's Eve/Day dive at Breakwater was great. Surface looked choppy so I was afraid conditions weren't going to be very good, but when we dropped down to about 40ft, Viz was fantastic, further than our lights could reach, and there was no surge at all. Me and my buddy skimmed the sand at first. Then ended up at the wall, where there still was great viz and no surge. 3 or 4 seals used our lights and those from another team to hunt for fish on the wall. Lots of red octopus, only one squid that I could tell, and it was definitely a night for these little, mottled white and brown nudibranchs. Oh, and while we were surface swimming we spotted a larval mantis shrimp. I was extremely wow'd.

What Jak said...I didn't get to bed 'til 4am.

Awesome dive. Lots of octopuskers and several harbor seals hunting in our lights. After repeated close passes I started petting them. Smooth and blubbery!

Did a dive at 9am to the metridium fields and could almost see the fields from the end of the pipe. Just finished 2nd dive at 2pm along the breakwall. 54 degrees, and vis worsened to about 15-20ft vis along the wall. Was really neat to be at the metridium fields and look up and see the surface. Nice day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom