Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should have gone with you Bruce. Monastery was suicide today. Water did look blue though. Breakwater was crap. I just spent the day topside. It wasn't worth getting my gear salty for 5 foot vis. If Monastery lays down a bit it should be good. That is the worst having to cut a dive short and nobody wants a second. How was the swell and surge?

Yes, Dave, I do so wish you had come with us. I am glad to hear you didn't try Monastery, because it sure looked ugly to me when we drove past it. But Lobos wasn't bad at all. I didn't even notice surge on the bottom. The swells topside weren't bad, but the big seas we had the past few days did break up lots of kelp so now there are big rafts of kelp floating freely on the surface. It was kind of messy getting through that, but not a big problem. Once we went down, it was really quite nice. If you had been there, I could have gone out for a second real dive!

Fun dive at the Metridium Fields this morning. Flat seas, sunny day, 20-25 foot vis, water temp ~50F.

There were lots of fish at the first metridium reef we blundered into. We were buzzed a couple of times by a group of about 5 sea lions. I encountered one squid that was still alive, but had seen better days. And, of course, there were lots of sea nettles. To cap it off, on my kick back to shore I snuck up on an egret standing on a kelp raft & got some video.

So are the nettles out in full force yet? Haven't been to Monterey in a while, but will hit up breakwater next weekend if it means I'll get to see one :)

There were a lot as we surfaced near the metridiums. I was filming one, turned, and was in the middle of another. When I extricated myself my camera rig was adorned in tentacles. Fortunately, in my drysuit I'm pretty much immune to their stings.

1st dive today was at carmel river beach. Blue water and slightly milky viz of 20ft improving to 25ft at 60fsw.

2nd dive at MacAbee beach. Decent vis there as well maybe 15ft in 20-40fsw improved to 20ft vis deeper than 40fsw. Made it out to Sammet's spire from shore . Good number of large sea nettles away from shore and in the middle water column. Easy to avoid swimming below closer to bottom. Numerous ling cod and a couple big cabezon in addition to the usual

Both dives very enjoyable and took a lot of video.

-Ken Loomis

A lot of divers out today. Did 2 at North Monastery. Vis was about 25-30ft closer to shore. Canyon had about 20ft or less. Beautiful topside. First dive was out to the canyon. Second dive was in shallows. A little surgey on second dive which was expected. What a difference a couple days made. Water temp was 52. Tons of Nudibranchs and Lings.

A lot of divers out today. Did 2 at North Monastery. Vis was about 25-30ft closer to shore. Canyon had about 20ft or less. Beautiful topside. First dive was out to the canyon. Second dive was in shallows. A little surgey on second dive which was expected. What a difference a couple days made. Water temp was 52. Tons of Nudibranchs and Lings.
And lots of whale watchers during surface interval

And lots of whale watchers during surface interval

That reminds me, last Saturday during lunch on cannery row, a waitress advised me of humpbacks being seen at Marina State beach at sundown. Stopped there on way back and sure enough there was a large number of them spouting and occasionally breaching not too far from shore. Sea brids were diving like mad and I believe the whales were corralling small fish on to the surface and lunge feeding on them.

Made an awesome ending to a day of good diving.

Not sure if they are still there but if they are it is definately worth checking out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom