Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decided on a whim to roll down to the BW for a night dive... Rolled into an pretty empty parking lot around 730... Had a lil snack and took our time gearing up.. It was super windy, the surf was rolling about 3.5' and the tide was going out... What the heck... I made it this far so might as well give it a shot.. Got geared up and the surf was picking up to about 4.5'... Kicked out way past the gate and dropped down to about 3' viz... Kicked out a lil more and decided to call it due to lack of viz... It happens :(

Breakwater had about 10 ft vis or less today. Still fun doing macro. Bunch of Octopus. Kind of churned up from the other day. Temp was 56. Another diver said they saw a pretty good sized Bat Ray off the wall. Talked to some divers that did Lobos this morning. They had 20ft vis at 65ft. They said Monastery was pumping.

Had 20-25' of viz at Lobos this afternoon. My buddy & I were part of a Reef Check survey, covering Middle Reef and part of the W side of the sand channel; we were diving on the W side of the channel, mid-50s depths. Water was a bracing 48F. Not much surge. We dove Weston Reef in the morning, but since that's a no-dive zone I probably shouldn't tell y'all what that was like. :wink:

about 20ft of hazy green today @ point lobos in 60 to 100ft . still much better than last week.

We are just now coming off a period where the seas were too big to do any diving. At this moment, the Monterey buoy is still reporting wave height of 11.5', which is too big to go much of anywhere except Breakwater. But it is supposed to calm down overnight, and I have some home for tomorrow (Friday). My rule of thumb is that Monterey Bay is going to be very stirred up for 3 days after we have big seas, but because the sand and gravel in Carmel is coarser it usually clears up more quickly down there. I'm going to gamble on it tomorrow and try to go out at Lobos, but I expect it will still be pretty stirred up.

Let us know what you find tomorrow, Bruce. Hoping things settle down at Lobos by Saturday.

Point Lobos was a very pleasant surprise today (Friday). When we got to the gate, the lady told us there had already been bunch of divers who checked in, went down to look at the water, then came back up to get a refund and leave. The buoy was still reporting 11' swells and I could see on the way down that Monastery was way beyond my limits. But we went anyway. The wind was out of the northeast, which should calm things down a bit. As soon as we dropped down, I knew it was going to be a good day. There wasn't a hint of green in the water; it was a hazy blue. But as we went further out, the water kept clearing up. By the time we got to Lone Metridium, visibility was a solid 30'-40'. I'm sure that if we had gone north toward Seamount and on out to Beto's it would have opened up even more than that. But alas one of the people in the group was already down to 700 psi when we got to LM, so I had to turn and bring him back. When I got out at the ramp, I still had 2200psi. Then everybody decided to bail on a second dive, and I was left looking at beautiful blue water but with nobody to go with me. The temp on my computer was 50F, which means any other computer would have registered 48F.

It's going to be a great diving weekend. I don't know about Monterey Bay, but points south are looking very good.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom