Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conditions are great in Monterey right now: 25-30ft vis offshore between Macabee and the Breakwater (~30ft depth). No sea nettles visible from the boat (there were tons last week). Negligible swell: go diving before it picks up again.

Dove Lobos last Sunday and Monday. Cove was about 5' Viz, Hole in the wall was about 20' Sunday and 30' Monday. So definitely some improvement. Water temp at the surface was 57F, 54f at 60'

Aug. 2. Breakwater. Water flat as glass. Foggy and overcast, but not too cold. Water temp. 53 degrees at 45 feet. Vis at 45 feet 20-25 feet. By 11:30 AM sun peaked out a few minutes, then went away.

Awesome vis in Pacific Grove today (around the point from Hopkins Marine Station), at least 32.8 feet (I could see 10 meters along a tape, at least). A bunch of sea nettles visible from the boat on the ride over from the breakwater but none in evidence at the dive site.

Saturday about 40ft horizontal 80 ft vertical @ lobos
Sunday about 30ft @ metridium fields in Monterey

Sunday North Monastery 25'-35'vis, very calm. Went down to 90'depth, better vis in the swallow areas around 30' depth. Very colorful around the wash rock where it is usually very rough. Temp was not cold (forgot to look at temp gauge)

Dove Breakwater this AM. Vis was still good. Around 25+ I'd say. No surge to speak of. Water temp was 51 at 45 ft. under clear sunny skies. Saw two octopus that looked to be mating? (Or perhaps arguing over breakfast) They were much larger than the small ones I normally see. I'd guess their heads were the size of my fist. Very cool thing to witness. Fun Sea Lion encounters as well as a few salps. Hope your sinus infection heals soon Counterpoint, 5 weeks is a long time to be dry.

...Saw two octopus that looked to be mating? (Or perhaps arguing over breakfast) They were much larger than the small ones I normally see. I'd guess their heads were the size of my fist. Very cool thing to witness..[/QUOTE]

Where did you see the octopus? over the sand or in the rocks? Sounds like a nice dive, thanks for sharing your report

I saw them in the sand not 2 feet from the rocks in 35ish ft. of water. It was a good dive. I'm going this evening again and hope to see more, though who knows. I just hope to have good conditions. Ill give you all a heads up tonight.

---------- Post Merged on August 10th, 2012 at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous Post was on August 9th, 2012 at 10:04 AM ----------

I didn't dive last night, though a few friends told me breakwater was around 5ft vis shallow, and opened up to 15 at the bend. Water was reported to be 47 degrees at 40ish feet. The squid eggs are still around and I look forward to seeing them hatch. Hope I get to see it happen. Not long now I suppose.

Dove Lobos today under thin fog with some sun. Air temp 60+. #1 was Hole in the wall, had 20+ vis with a temp of 51. Dark and green, though we had a good time anyway.
#2 was out toward coal chute to check out the caves, though we missed the mark a bit. Vis was much worse, a dark 10-15 at 30ft. Water temp was 51 with a bit of surge.
Not the best for Lobos I know, though at least I'm not at work, and as I said, we had a good time anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom