Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to Point Lobos today and had about 15-20ft. vis. @ Cannery Point around 45ft. deep. Temp was 47. Vis was worse in the shallows. Small swell picked up in the afternoon. Fog in the AM and had a little sun around noon. We had a great day diving. Hope this helps you out Counterpoint.
Peace.

Hey folks, I built and run Monterey Dive Reports. I found this thread from my web logs. Thanks for posting the link, Christophe. I was looking for the same information as this thread and, since I couldn't find something that existed, built it.

I've been logging historical NOAA reports and am currently working on a feature to tie forecasted conditions to reported conditions. Also, now that the site has been online for over a year, I'd like to do some data analysis and report back on how conditions change from season to season.

Feel free to post reports to the site or just check out the data. The thing we need more than anything else is more users. I'm always open to questions, comments, and suggestions for improvement.

Went on a dive to the Metridium Fields @ BW, followed by a second dive off the wall.
Conditions were, brown. Very very brown. I could post a few pics from my dive buddy when she uploads them.

We went in around noon and finished up at 4. There were some small waves, but no noticeable long shore current.
Temperature was 48F-51F depending on whose computer you went by. It didn't feel colder than usual though.
Lots of particles in the water, but I was still able to see my buddies light from 8ft away. She was using a 2watt UK mask light at the time.

Sun was out all day too.

11.jpg

We met up with a buddy of mine and his friend for our set of dives. On the first dive to the Metridium we got separated on our descent and took the dive on as 2 separate teams. My buddy and I spent a bit more time than usual finding the pipe. Got to see my a small sea hare that I've never seen before. It was colored similar to a harbor seal, but wasn't as big and bulbous as the giant CA sea hares that I'm used to seeing.
We nearly overshot the Medtriums but got to spend a few minutes cruising around the outer edge before turning around. It was my buddy's first time seeing the fields.

I did have to do a bit of stretching after that dive. My buddy was great at maintaining buddy contact, so great that she blocked my right leg from doing a full frog kick.

The second dive all 4 of us decided to do a small circuit off the BW wall. The plan was to take a circuit course to some small outcropping of rocks, then to the small cannon, before heading back in. Since I was the only one who had taken this route, I would be leading.
Well with conditions the way they were we descended on the wrong starting point. I got mixed up with one of the several huge granite square rocks at the wall's bend. We ended up taking a zig zag reciprocal course, trying to find the rocky outcroppings. We took our sweet time, seeing some spanish dancers and a pair of mating sea hares.

By the time we got back to the wall we didn't have enough gas to search for the cannon.
During our swim back in, I almost pulled my buddy's regulator out. I had gone to dump air from my wing and when I went back to position my arms in front of me I got caught up in her regulator's loop. Payback I guess for cramping my right leg.

All in all it was a great day to dive.

---------- Post Merged at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:30 AM ----------

I'd also like to say that the parking attendant guy is real nice. Our parking stub had gotten blown from the dashboard as we were suiting up. We didn't notice until we came back from our first dive to find a ticket on the car. Well after talking with the guy he said he couldn't help us without the ticket stub. Luckily after the second dive, I found the stub tucked under my shoes on the passenger side of the car.

We showed it to the attendant and he crossed off our ticket. Very polite guy.

I was supposed to be in Monterey starting today. "it's my birthday weekend.". But a sinus infection has knocked me out for at least a couple of weeks. I even missed our get wet dive club meeting yesterday only 2 minutes from my work. And believe me at 106 degrees yesterday I was really bummed I couldnt get wet.

But keep the reports coming and then head over to www.montereydiveconditions.com and drop a quick post there. Hopefully conditions will pick up a little. But to be honest when I feel better it won't matter. I need a dive fix ASAP. Haven't been in the water since end of may.

Have a great weekend everyone. And stay safe.

Nice dive at Lobos. lot of particle and is a bit dark. Opens up by HITW. viz about 30ft but dark.

South Monastery Beach 07/14/2014 AM

Visibility: 10-15 Feet (Very Murky)
Surface: Calm/Knee level surf (Can walk in/out)
Temperature: 50 F
Max Depth: 37 Feet
Avg Depth: 26 Feet
Moderate to Strong Surge

Dove the wharf Saturday. Vis was about 5ft near the wall, then opened 10 to 15 to 20 as we progressed toward the end of the wharf. Lots of crap in the water. No surge at all obviously. Was a good macro dive. Came across my first electric ray.

My son finished his open water course this weekend. Of course the BW and San Carlos Beach were loaded with divers of all stripes, but he loved it. Viz was 10-15 away from the cert students who roiled up the bottom quite a bit.

While he was going through the dives, Emergency Services came out twice. Once was for a female student, whom we heard had done an uncontrolled ascent from 40 feet while holding her breath, and the second, almost overlapping, was an older gent who was having some sort of difficulty. Does anyone have more details? How often does this occur? I have never seen it before, but I've only been diving four years.

bump..

If anyone knows what it was like in Monterey Bay today, please share.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom