Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove south Monastery this last Saturday and conditions were nearly if not exactly identical to what's seen in the vid.

Two dives at Breakwater yesterday. Water temp 52 degrees. Vis was 20ft +/-. Best vis was past the drop off along the wall. Not as many Jellies underwater but more on the surface as you swam out. It looked like a boat must have gotten to a bunch of them because there was a lot of Jellyfish shrapnel in the water at the surface.

Dove yesterday at Breakwater. Saw Big Bella there as well. Vis was 10ft and a bit green. Vis was best below 35 feet but was still only a little better than 10ft. Most of the dive was less than 10. Still a great dive. Saw a Wolf Eel along the wall and an Octopus who was hunting. I heard Metridium pipe had 20ft vis or so earlier in the day.

Dove Carmel, between modest wave sets, and San Carlos Beach this morning; no sighting of uspap, however.

Both sites were in the 4-5 meter range with plenty of detritus thrown into the water column. A bit of a swell with water striking stairs on the Monterey side of the bay. Tons of jellyfish on Cannery Row; almost caught one straight in the face. A perfect time of the year for full face mask use . . .

Two dives at Breakwater today. Both dives along the wall. First dive 10-15ft vis. Second dive 20ft or more with Whale songs in the background. Surprisingly good vis compared to what people were saying yesterday. Water temp on second dive was 51-52 degrees. Definitely colder.

Two seventy minute-plus dives this morning, all by my lonesome -- one in Carmel; the other, at San Carlos Beach.

There was a definite surge off Monastery, early on, and a couple of wave sets to negotiate, before exiting. Visibility at both sites was reduced to about three to four meters; lots of algal bits and remnants of jellies.

Looked like The Smamp Thing, from all of the crap, accumulated on my gear, on shore, for those who recall 1970s comics; or, more memorably, bad Adrienne Barbeau (and the twins) movies . . .

Two seventy minute-plus dives this morning, all by my lonesome -- one in Carmel; the other, at San Carlos Beach.

There was a definite surge off Monastery, early on, and a couple of wave sets to negotiate, before exiting. Visibility at both sites was reduced to about three to four meters; lots of algal bits and remnants of jellies.

Looked like The Smamp Thing, from all of the crap, accumulated on my gear, on shore, for those who recall 1970s comics; or, more splendidly, bad Adrienne Barbeau (and the twins) movies . . .
Interesting, the current "forecast" says its almost flat. I guess that's why we do the dives, though. I can picture you emerging, "berries and jellies and algae, oh my!"

Interesting, the current "forecast" says its almost flat. I guess that's why we do the dives, though. I can picture you emerging, "berries and jellies and algae, oh my!"

The swell, this morning, on the Carmel side, was certainly greater than "four feet at twelve seconds" -- but may well have settled out, by this afternoon.

Wasn't really a Chamber of Commerce day for Carmel, by the Sea . . .

Back
Top Bottom