Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hit North Monastery for two dives, this morning. Visibility ranged from 5-8 meters -- better near the splash rock. Squid were still darting around and there were egg cases to be had, below 20 meters.

We rarely get shoaling squid so close to shore; not like some Southern California night dives. There always seems a few stragglers, here and there; but nothing like this plague year. .
Where are you seeing the squids depth and location wise? I should get down there to see them.

Hit North Monastery for two dives, this morning. Visibility ranged from 5-8 meters -- better near the splash rock. Squid were still darting around and there were egg cases to be had, below 20 meters.

We rarely get shoaling squid so close to shore; not like some Southern California night dives. There always seems a few stragglers, here and there; but nothing like this plague year.

Dive-bombed by cormorants as well; pecked at fins; snorkels; their reflections in masks; any shiny stuff on the BC -- wonder what they're like roasted . . .
Super jealous! I do recommend Passionfish in Pacific Grove if you want to find out, they have more Monterey seafood than any place on the wharf.

Where are you seeing the squids depth and location wise? I should get down there to see them.

25-30 meters depth, beyond the splash rock, where the sand begins its steep slope; also, a few spots under the canopy on the swim back -- mid-range, 10-15 meters . . .

25-30 meters depth, beyond the splash rock, where the sand begins its steep slope; also, a few spots under the canopy on the swim back -- mid-range, 10-15 meters . . .
Thanks. I’ll check it out.

Another dive, at Monastery this morning, with -- as it turns out -- a few of the usual suspects, from this forum. Visibility was about the same, as earlier in the week -- about 7-8 meters at best; and quite a bit of detritus in the water.

The squid were conspicuously absent today; but, certainly, not the evidence of a seriously-debauched Saturday night, at about 20 meters . . .

View attachment 599971 Another dive, at Monastery this morning, with -- as it turns out -- a few of the usual suspects, from this forum. Visibility was about the same, as earlier in the week -- about 7-8 meters at best; and quite a bit of detritus in the water.

The squid were conspicuously absent today; but, certainly, not the evidence of a seriously-debauched Saturday night, at about 20 meters . . .
I've only seen an egg sac once, in Catalina. Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

I'm checking in as one of the usual suspects. Turns out I've known BB for a long time but never knew it. Great dives today. Me and Mubin did a second way around the point. 40-50 foot vis. It just kept getting better. Third dive was Breakwater. 30 ft or more. Epic dive day. I don't know how the vis rates on the soup scale.

I'm checking in as one of the usual suspects. Turns out I've known BB for a long time but never knew it. Great dives today. Me and Mubin did a second way around the point. 40-50 foot vis. It just kept getting better. Third dive was Breakwater. 30 ft or more. Epic dive day. I don't know how the vis rates on the soup scale.
Awesome enough visibility to fuel 3 dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom