Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is South Monastery still an Urchin barren?
With the caveat that this is only the second time that I've dove Monastery, and never in the North, I would say that the shallow rocks close to the coastline are basically covered with the buggers. Still enough kelp to circle around that if it's your thing (it's my thing).

North Monastery had about 5-6 meters of visibility, about seven this morning -- and a decent surge, at the splash rock; lots of hungry larval fish and equally-hungry cormorants; murkier closer to shore. The Monterey / Pacific Grove side, was an excercise in lime jello this morning -- divers in aspic . . .

With the caveat that this is only the second time that I've dove Monastery, and never in the North, I would say that the shallow rocks close to the coastline are basically covered with the buggers. Still enough kelp to circle around that if it's your thing (it's my thing).

I totally agree. I dove South Monastery June 13, 20, and 27. The shallow rocks, and the rocks you see if you continue to swim to the left are pretty barren. However, if you swim out to the kelp field in the middle there are urchins, but plenty of other stuff to see. There are fewer urchins the farther out you go. Also, if you head due West for a bit, and then head due North, we found some great piles of rocks with kelp and lots of critters and not very many urchins. Well worth checking out.

Took kayaks out to the big kelp field at Carmel River State Beach on Saturday, July 11th. AWESOME! We could see the surface from 70 feet! Horizontal viz was at least 40 feet. Very few urchins.

It was a bit chilly, though. My computer said 46 degrees, which is 2 degrees colder than we saw at South Monastery in June. (Although my computer does tend to read a couple of degrees lower than most other people I'm diving with.)

Conditions are looking pretty good for this coming weekend so I may be heading to Monterey again. :) And I've got reservations for Point Lobos on July 25th, assuming they stay open.

Did two dives at North Monastery with Mubin today to check out the Squid Eggs and Squid. Pretty cool to see a bunch of Squid cruzing around. We went out from the wall and dove the sand ridge/slope along the canyon. Never did that before but it was nice. You could feel the current pretty strong there. Vis was a hazy green 15-20ft. Better vis seemed to be closer but it wasn't great there either. Sun was out and it was a beautiful day.

I'd recognize that shade of lime jello anywhere . . .

Hit North Monastery for two dives, this morning. Visibility ranged from 5-8 meters -- better near the splash rock. Squid were still darting around and there were egg cases to be had, below 20 meters.

We rarely get shoaling squid so close to shore; not like some Southern California night dives. There always seems a few stragglers, here and there; but nothing like this plague year.

Dive-bombed by cormorants as well; pecked at fins; snorkels; their reflections in masks; any shiny stuff on the BC -- wonder what they're like roasted . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom