Monkey Diving - DIR ?

Is Monkey Diving Considered DIR ?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 78.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Tobin,

The apparatus described by you sounds like a convoluted re-invention of a side mount rig, not monkey diving as promoted by Dive X-tras.
How intelligent is it to suggest it's safe to send divers into the water with an 8lb. lift BC? Have you carefully thought about the product you're promoting?

Chris

FishTaco:
Hello Tobin,

The apparatus described by you sounds like a convoluted re-invention of a side mount rig, not monkey diving as promoted by Dive X-tras.
How intelligent is it to suggest it's safe to send divers into the water with an 8lb. lift BC? Have you carefully thought about the product you're promoting?

Chris
With all due respect, I cannot for the life of me figure out why this thread is in this forum. Seems to me that it has to do with promotion, as you suggest ... but not on Tobin's part.

Some of the responses ... especially yours and the OP's ... are pretty good examples of what it is about DIR that so repulses so many people.

FishTaco:
(Disclaimer: This post is intended for comedic value and should not be interpreted otherwise)
Riiiiggghhhhtttttt ... :shakehead

If you don't want to dive that way, don't. But why put something you KNOW isn't DIR in a DIR forum simply for the sake of slamming it?

This whole thread ... well, actually, the two or three people perpetuating it ... reeks of an attitude that the DIR community as a whole would be better off without.

Give it a rest already ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Funny, my GUE instructor gave me the DVD to watch. Looks like a fun diversion.

FishTaco:
Hello Tobin,

Strong words from somebody that's never seen the rig in question. I'd suggest asking dive-xtras, we developed it at their request.

FishTaco:
How intelligent is it to suggest it's safe to send divers into the water with an 8lb. lift BC?

In the right conditions 8 lbs of lift is enough. Of course one would need a logical, rational means of calculating the required lift to determine when 8 lbs of lift is safe. I'd want to be certain that the potential user understands the limits of the gear, but I want the same for any configuration I might recommend.

In the right conditions, if you have your weighting correct, and if you limit the depths you dive to no BC at all is quite safe. Remember BC's are a fairly recent scuba innovation. Countless dives have been safely accomplished with no BC at all.

That's how I learned to dive. You typically started the dive about neutral, swim down a bit to get negative, and kept moving. Not a lot of hovering. By the end of the dive you were positive by the weight of the gas you used. Worked well for shallow, short duration dives with minimal exposure suits and lightweight steel 72's

These were not epic dives to the Doria. They were short, shallow dives for lobster or abalone. Monkey Diving as I practice it is similar, shallow, fun, NDL dives.

You might want to check out the Vintage forum for more info regarding diving without BC's.

FishTaco:
Have you carefully thought about the product you're promoting?

Chris

No, I just shoot from the hip, rely exclusively on my feelings, not facts, and just hope not to leave too many bodies in my path. I figure my liability insurance carrier won't mind a couple a year...........

BTW, I'm still waiting for any feature specific critic on how the configuration I've described prevents one from adhering to the DIR philosophy.

FishTaco:
a convoluted re-invention of a side mount rig,

That's colorful, but short on specifics.

Tobin

NWGratefulDiver:
With all due respect, I cannot for the life of me figure out why this thread is in this forum. Seems to me that it has to do with promotion, as you suggest ... but not on Tobin's part.

Some of the responses ... especially yours and the OP's ... are pretty good examples of what it is about DIR that so repulses so many people.

Bob, as I originally stated - this thread is a split of a discussion that started in a DIR subforum. I was the OP of that other thread and did not want that discussion to continue there. I created this post so that those participants, as well as the larger DIR community, could continue the discussion. If you or anyone else believes that this topic or any specific posts are inappropriate, then please feel free to use the appropriate reporting vehicle.

I'd like to point out, that despite your feelings on the matter that at least some DIR practitioners view this is style of diving (in one form or another) as something that would participate in under a fixed set of constraints.

NOT dir
monkey.jpg

(notice the wrist wireless ai computer)

NWGreatfulDiver:
With all due respect, I cannot for the life of me figure out why this thread is in this forum.
Hello Bob,

I’ll quote from a post made by Tobin, in the “Tour de coves” thread,…(located in the SoCal DIR forum)
cool_hardware52:
What specifically to find about Monkey diving, as you currently understand it to be inconsistent with the DIR philosophy?
My guess is you don't know very much, but here's a golden opportunity to prove me wrong.
…and from his last post.
cool_hardware52:
BTW, I'm still waiting for any feature specific critic on how the configuration I've described prevents one from adhering to the DIR philosophy.
Tobin/DSS is clearly challenging members to provide evidence supporting claims that monkey diving is not DIR. Is there still question as to where this thread belongs?

The Promotion and act of Monkey style diving does not adhere to DIR principles. It is a foolhardy approach to diving which disregards diver safety, increases risk of injury, and displays an irresponsible attitude to the sport.

cool_hardware52:
No, I just shoot from the hip, rely exclusively on my feelings, not facts, and just hope not to leave too many bodies in my path. I figure my liability insurance carrier won't mind a couple a year...........
Disturbing response,…this is not a joking matter.

Given the recent history between Tobin/DSS and members of SoCal DIR I’ll try to refrain from posting in this thread.

Chris

FishTaco:
The Promotion and act of Monkey style diving does not adhere to DIR principles. It is a foolhardy approach to diving which disregards diver safety, increases risk of injury, and displays an irresponsible attitude to the sport.

How? Specifically? You love to lob bombs, and level charges, but provide no specifics.

How, specifically, does the "Monkey Diving Rig", as I've detailed it, prevent the application of DIR principles?

How, specifically, does the "Monkey Diving Rig", as I detailed it, when used by a qualified diver, disregard diver safety?

How, specifically, does the "Monkey Diving Rig", as I detailed it, when used by a qualified diver, display an irresponsible attitude to the sport?

Tobin

Tobin,
Could you please provide more detail on this revolutionary breakthru in monkey diving. The type of monkey diving described by you is foreign to me. (nothing like the videos)

How specifically do you route the hoses required for this type of diving? Can you provide photos? What do you do in case of a failed scooter? Would 8lbs. of wing lift be enough in a flooded scooter scenario?

Sincerely,
Chris

cool_hardware52:
How? Specifically? You love to lob bombs, and level charges, but provide no specifics.

How, specifically, does the "Monkey Diving Rig", as I've detailed it, prevent the application of DIR principles?

How, specifically, does the "Monkey Diving Rig", as I detailed it, when used by a qualified diver, disregard diver safety?

How, specifically, does the "Monkey Diving Rig", as I detailed it, when used by a qualified diver, display an irresponsible attitude to the sport?

Tobin
Tobin, Relax, it looks like great fun, I'd be happy to try it (and will, I expect) and while it may be based on DIR principles, face it, the wrong knot on a clip negates DIR in some peoples minds (esp. Jr. level divers with less that 500 dives, they often seem to have an axe to grind, because they still know all that there is to know).

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom