Monkey Diving - DIR ?

Is Monkey Diving Considered DIR ?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 78.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nemrod, I think they were asking if it's DIR .. not DIY ... :D

Seriously ... as soon as Halcyon comes out with their version of the monkey rig, this will become a non-issue. Then we can get back to discussions about why X-Scooters are dangerous and Gavins are not ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Oh, but think about it ... with a monkey rig you could bring a scooter into the bathtub with ya next time ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It would probably fit much better than double 80s...:D

SparticleBrane:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It would probably fit much better than double 80s...:D

It's gonna be tough to assume the extended, streamlined riding position however :wink:

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
It's gonna be tough to assume the extended, streamlined riding position however :wink:

Tobin
Just depends on your tub.

cool_hardware52:
I've been politely asking almost three days now for any specific reason why "monkey diving" would prevent one from adhering to the DIR philosophy.

Post 15 2/13/2007

Post 35 2/13/2007

Post 64 12/14/2007

Post 68 12/14/2007

Post 71 12/14/2007.

Is this your answer? Is it fair to assume that you have no answer?

Tobin

OK,
I was hoping to stay out of this.
Your new Monkey rig does seem to allow for a more DIR aproach than the Monkey diving I have been witness to in the past.(what I've seen was always very similar to what has been posted in the videos)
But,
The Monkey diving rig does not seem to adhere to the accepted DIR gear configuration.
It also does not seem to allow a diver to build upon the rig to use the same original equipment and skill set to do more advanced dives.
This has been a premise of the DIR equipment choice from the begining.
Same gear from basic level can be built upon and used through to advanced tech and cave dives.
Skill set should be the same.
Skills should transfer to and be built upon for higher levels of diving.
With the configuration you described this does not sound possible.
coolhardware52:
The bungeed Backup is on a 40 inch hose and feeds like any deco reg would. The excess lenght of the primary hose is stuffed under the stage wraps. It too feeds like deco reg, around the head. Deployment is similar except you just pull the extra hose loose from the AL80. The diver has ready access to the AL80 allowing the extra hose to be restowed. The bottle has a SPG rigged like any deco bottle. This is very similar to a DIR diver scootering while using a stage.

Under lined above you change both the gear configuration and the skills.

But the consensus here seems to be who cares anyway right?

You asked a question which I have tried to politely answer.

For the record I (other than certification) have no affiliation with GUE.
I also do not wish to continue in a political debate.
As such I will bow out of this as peacfully as possible.

Good luck with your future endeavors,
Milo

"Nemrod, I think they were asking if it's DIR .. not DIY ... "

Danger is a good thing, keeps you sharp. Having a scooter that might explode when you pull the GO trigger, now that is DANGEROUS, I love it.

I figure this is going to upset the universe, DIR goes vintage and starts teaching Monkey Diving which will evolve into no BC diving which then will be discovered that metal regulators really are better than plastic and then inch by inch a slippery slope into MY world.

Actually, I understand the fuss but it looks harmless and I don't think the crack in the keel is all that large, the bilge pumps ought to be able to keep up.

If you Monkey Dive, do you need a pony bottle?

N

Nemrod:

N

No, you need a monkey strapped to your back that you can buddy breath with. :D

Nemrod:
... only if the monkey is riding on a pony ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cool_hardware52:
How, specifically, does the "Monkey Diving Rig", as I've detailed it, prevent the application of DIR principles?

No long hose, no ability to donate gas, not DIR.

Now STOP before you whack 'reply' and read on. I am going to try to say this as clearly as possible that you must re-read that statement without considering what the acronym DIR means, and without any implicit judgments made about the inherent safety of DIR or not-DIR. Some would argue that the only safe way to dive is to dive DIR all the time. I am not one of them. I don't give enough of a frak to get into that kind of an argument. But monkey diving simply isn't compliant with the system of diving promoted by WKPP+GUE known as DIR. And I'm saying that in exactly the same kind of spirit that I would mention that my wing isn't a Dive*Rite*.

And some out there who get hung up on the meaning of the acronym DIR and can't let it go would want to craft an argument now that it must be considered DIR because its perfectly safe within the constraints that its done (shallow, experienced divers, etc). Stop. I don't care. Just argue that its perfectly safe, and I'll agree with you (technically, because I don't really care about that argument either, I just want you to go away). However, it is not DIR.

GI3 picked an acronym a long time ago which once served a purpose, but now unfortunately tends to lead to an annoying low SNR in a lot of arguments. Can we all try to get over it?

EDIT: meh... I seem to have screwed up and missed some post somewhere where tobin explains some other rig which has a donatable hose... I doubt it is DIR either, but irregardless the general point that I'm trying to make stands that its a stupid argument to get into... Sorry, I don't have the time or attention span to try to fix this post right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom