Monastery questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Without wanting to start a huge argument that ultimately boils down to closely held beliefs (an argument dead-end), but probably doing so anyway, I would tend to argue that entering fins-on at Monastery is considerably less safe than putting them on once you've cleared the surf zone. That said, you have to know what you're doing. And I agree that it's generally better to swallow your pride and just crawl out, reg in and mask on and yes, fins. As Chuck said, take those off at the top of the berm.

Without wanting to start a huge argument that ultimately boils down to closely held beliefs (an argument dead-end), but probably doing so anyway, I would tend to argue that entering fins-on at Monastery is considerably less safe than putting them on once you've cleared the surf zone. That said, you have to know what you're doing. And I agree that it's generally better to swallow your pride and just crawl out, reg in and mask on and yes, fins. As Chuck said, take those off at the top of the berm.

I think I can see where you're coming from. Assuming you can get your fins on quickly, you'll probably spend less time in the surf zone compared to doing the crabby shuffle?

Try to dive Lobos on a incoming tide or at lest before an outgoing tide. An outgoing tide brings a lot of particular matter from the cove with it and often reduces visibility. An incoming tide brings clearer water from the open bay. This is a beautiful place both above and below the water. Bring a lunch there are great picnic tabbles and bathrooms for your surface interval.
Funny, the best vis I have ever seen in the cove was on a low tide. Quite often it is reversed to what would seem logical. Same goes for Gerstle Cove, the vis is typically better on an out going tide. All of this is really determined by the tides, current, and surge and there is no specific pattern. Unless launching a boat at Lobos, just show up and dive no matter what the tides are doing.

FWIW I have been amazed talking to other divers about hiking Lobos and it seems many have never hiked the park. It is gorgeous and a great place to visit after calling the dive on shore at Monastery. Sometimes we only do one looong dive and then go for a hike. Nothing like a day spent touring topside and under the water at one of California's most scenic places.

Another thing...the sand is pretty coarse (or was when I last dove there) & therefore tougher to rinse out of gear. I had some get into a BC & had trouble getting it out. After repeated rinses it kept getting into the exhaust valves. A few dives later, while returning on the bottom from the metridiums, I added some air to BC and noticed a funny noise. The sand had got into the inflator mechanism & the noise was air going into the BC!!! I grabbed both exhausts and started dumping air, but didn't have enough hands to also vent my drysuit too, so up I went. I flared out to slow the ascent, maintained a clear airway, & surfaced safely, but my buddy was pissed when I wouldn't go back down & finish the dive---safety first, eh?

That was the end of that BC.

I am curious and do not mean to be augmentative: at Monastery, how do you suggest that one, "clear the surf zone" before putting one's fins on? What is the means of propulsion you use to, "clear the surf zone?

My 2 cents. I use this simple technique to enter Monastery. Fins are OFF, wing DEFLATED.
Get into surf use fins in your hands to swim yourself past surf break (i have stiff Jet Fins so it helps i guess)
Once PAST the surf put your fins on.
Getting out same way take off your fins before surf break, make sure you empty your bc completely.
use fins in your hands to swim till you touch ground. walk out or crawl out at that point.
Works in pretty bad surf. Just make sur eyou are negative so you dont get banged by the surf.

I assume that you're suggesting going under the break with your regulator in your mouth?

That has caused at least one fatality that I know of.

The North end of Monastery has on most dive days a really short surf zone, less than 15ft so a strong push out and you're in calm swells.
It's getting back out that's the real fun. One wrong step and you're rolling up and down and up and down...
Sent from an undisclosed location using Tapatalk.

The North end of Monastery has on most dive days a really short surf zone, less than 15ft so a strong push out and you're in calm swells.
It's getting back out that's the real fun. One wrong step and you're rolling up and down and up and down...
Sent from an undisclosed location using Tapatalk.
Yeah, but I usually go out in the middle of the Beach, it's more fun, and that's where you find lots of gear. Over the years I found too many masks and fins to begin to tell, but I also found a camera in a housing, a Nikonos, and twice I found full rigs, tank, reg, console, and BC.

Back
Top Bottom