Monastery Night Dive?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The more I read about the "landlord" the more I am not sure I want to dive Monastery when I move back to SF. Anyone want to dive somewhere else?

The landlord owns the territory all along the Monterey/Carmel shore, so one spot's as likely as another. The risk is minimal, and essentially non-existent if you're not on the surface. Out of the 10 or so recorded attacks in the last 50+ years, only two were fatal, and all but one involved surfers/swimmers/divers at the surface, as they most resemble seals/sea lions. If you don't mind looking at a grisly photo or two, you'll find descriptions of many of the attacks here:

http://darwin.bio.uci.edu/~rvilla/attack.html

The one exception was a guy using a scooter and testing out an electronic device manufactured by his company, who was attacked in mid-water; it's thought that the shark was attracted by the small electrical field generated by one or the other. As it happens, the shark bit down and its teeth got the tank on the guy's back and the metal case of the device on his front, so other than some bruising he was fine. So, at the times of year when they're likely to be around, I tend to spend very little time on the surface, and stay close to the bottom, as Great Whites attack from below.

Realistically, you should be far more worried about being killed/injured in a car accident on the way to/from Monterey; the odds are a lot higher.

Guy

If you're not familiar with Monastery, I'd steer clear, especially at night. Go to the breakwater - nice easy night dive, with easy navigation.

I love night diving at BW. There are lots of small octopi along the wall at BW, and many cool shrimp. Just watch out for fishing hooks if you are near the rocks.

I just heard more. I'll pass on Monastery (night or day) dive. Thanks for the heads up!

That's good to hear :). Hope you have a nice visit!

The story I've heard about a Monastery night dive involved a new moon, large swells, and getting rolled. Apparently the problem wasn't the waves, it was the fact that you couldn't see them!

I love night diving at BW. There are lots of small octopi along the wall at BW, and many cool shrimp. Just watch out for fishing hooks if you are near the rocks.

That's good to hear :). Hope you have a nice visit!

Thanks!

I hope so too. Need to find dive buddy/group for Sat night dive it seems. I would love to see octopi and things like that. :)

Well after seeing a 7-foot W/NW swell rolling in, I let discretion be the better part of valor and hit up breakwater. Saw several yellow dorids as well as a white one that has black spots (don't know what kind it is?). I'm getting to the point where I really enjoy seeing nudibranchs. They're kinda growing on me.

On a side note, you guys are a trip. I love scrolling through here reading what everyone posts. I really hope to get to dive with you all at some point soon.

Thanks!

I hope so too. Need to find dive buddy/group for Sat night dive it seems. I would love to see octopi and things like that. :)

I'm really busy with a scuba class up in the city all weekend or I'd love a casual kick out critter hunting.

I really hope you find a partner. Maybe you should just post an independant thread in this forum to find a buddy.

If you are tired of the wall try doing the Metridium Fields at night... That should give you plenty to look at.

The Metridium Fields are absolutely beautiful at night :).

Well after seeing a 7-foot W/NW swell rolling in, I let discretion be the better part of valor and hit up breakwater. Saw several yellow dorids as well as a white one that has black spots (don't know what kind it is?).

Did it look like this?

dialula.jpg

Diaulula sandiegensis

This is from Clinton Bauder's website

http://www.metridium.com/

Click on Pictures, then Opistobranchs. These are colloquially referred to locally as San Diegos.

Here's a link to a photo on John Yasaki's website:

http://www.chabotcollege.edu/faculty/jyasaki/photogallery/slugpics/detail/P5250059.htm

Guy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom